Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"old" style use of synthesizer in rock!

This past weekend I saw a band called "Skillet"--a heavy alternative Christian rock band. The keyboard player, in addition to the only OCCASIONAL electric piano sound, she played synthesizer on every song. And it wasn't just to copy other instrument sounds. She made extensive use of thick, awesome Mini-moog style synth lines, original lead sounds, "sound effects" and so on. I don't think I heard one string pad or fake horn sound. I was too far away to tell what brand/model the boards were.

Although the music wasn't my favorite style, it was very refreshing to see this "old" approach to using synths in rock music. She even had 'em arranged in the classic "U" shape. And on top of that, she MOVED around---dancing, boogying, dramatic movements....not standing like a statue playing copy sounds.

It was very cool! Check this band out if you have the chance.

BD

PS: Third Day was the headliner. They were unbelievable. Very, very, very good. Great Hammond tying it all together. Now they are my style of music!

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived