Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a gig! OH NO! I got a gig!

I got my first solo piano show gig! I am going to play a thirty minute slot for a party of Christian bikers. (I play Christian boogiewoogie and blues solo piano style).

Now I am terrified and ridden with self-doubt! I didn't think I would feel this way, but it hit me after I got the call that if I suck or if the audience doesn't dig me, I can't blame it on anyone but me and my music. And that has scared the fool of me.

I am getting worried and scared. Even thought of declining, but feel that wouldn't help matters at all. Even thought of getting a bass and drums to back me up, but there's not time.

OH NO! What to do? HELP!

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just play! Don't worry! Besides, it's Christian bikers, it's not like they're going to throw bottles and beat you up...maybe just beat the heal out you? :D If you do something you're scared to do, that's courage, a "ham" will never know that thrill.

Go for it!

This thread provided me with some support when I was having a similar problem.

You could do medleys... "Jesus Just Left Chicago, and He's Alright With Me."

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Christian.. bikers? :eek:;) well, not knowing exactly what you're gonna play (vocal/instrumental, written/improvised, etc.) here are a few tips:

If you're used to play in a group, the big difference is, of course, the bass parts. Visit the bottom octave often, and keep it steady and in time. You don't need a ton of notes, just a good fundation! :) If you're playing boogie, I would also avoid too much pedal.

At the same time, try to create "episodes" by changing, suddenly or gradually, your registers, dynamics, patterns, etc. Piano solo is really the right moment to bring all this out!

Don't give up to insecurity by starting your pieces too fast. Try to begin each tune at a comfortable pace, you can always speed up a bit as you approach the ending.

Hey, you're playing alone! You can do anything. Should you forget a part or passage, or if you simply feel like it, you can add sections, make up little transitions, improvise breaks... It doesn't have to be virtuosistic - often a few notes, on a different register than the last thing you played, are enough to create a contrast. Think orchestrally!

Lastly, I would not try to learn new material right before the show. A piece or two maybe, not more - otherwise you risk to overload. Remain in control. (Well - maybe a beer or two would help too! :) )

Enjoy!

Carlo

Originally posted by Blues Disciple:

I got my first solo piano show gig! I am going to play a thirty minute slot for a party of Christian bikers. (I play Christian boogiewoogie and blues solo piano style).

Now I am terrified and ridden with self-doubt!

Just remember that God loves music, playing is a sacrament, and he will help you through it.

I am quite serious about this. I know it sounds crazy but it happens.

Of course, practicing seriously before hand does not hurt either but when practicing one tends to concentrate on one's deficiencies so that when it comes time to perform your chief thought will be how unprepared you think you are.

So, when it comes time to do the show, forget about yourself and just be the vessel through which the music flows. Don't pray beforehand - prayer can all too easily become about self, asking God to do this thing or that thing for you. Just allow it to happen.

Hi Blues Disciple.. You're thinking about it all wrong! Check this out....

If you're good enough to even have 30 min. of solo material, I bet things will be okay. Not only that, but you won't have to worry about other members of the band messing up in some way, and you won't have to worry about a bad monitor mix from sound man that doesnn't know how to mix keys in relation to guitar.

I'll bet what is going to happen is that you're gonna play that first song (or maybe into the second song) and you'll find out that those guys are diggin what you're doing. Then you're gonna notice that they're clapping for you. Following this, you'll be so psyched, you won't ever want to stop playing live. :)

Go in there with a positive attitude; like you're gonna knock there socks off, and it will happen.

Above all..Have fun!

I didn't think I would feel this way, but it hit me after I got the call that if I suck or if the audience doesn't dig me, I can't blame it on anyone but me and my music. And that has scared the fool of me.
Why do you start from the point that you would suck? If that's your starting point you will suck. It's like a self predicting thing or attitude. When do you have this gig? It's a good idea to play some solo piano before it. Invite some friends, have a dinner and play in between the dishes you'll serve. Or play some tunes for your girlfriend or wife. The dinner party thing helped me surviving my classical piano exam.

Also, try to find rest and empty your head, maybe meditation can help, but do this while sitting at the piano and then just hit one chord. Then do it again and increase the amount of chords but never force it.

Good luck!

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Good Luck, Blues Disciple!

Great opportunity to get experience in a new area. Always good to push your comfort zone.

I think the key to performing music is to enjoy yourself. Somehow, if you yourself are loving the sounds coming from your performance, the audience will really dig it as well. A win-win. Its even more of a bonus if you get paid!

Alby

Try to relax and think good thoughts.

I often get nervous before playing, and I find that the slight edge it gives me seems to actually enhance my performance capabilities.

If I'm worried about a particular passage, I do try to visualize playing it perfectly. That seems to help quite a bit.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived