Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum Newbie Needs Advice!

daBowsa

First off, I want to thank all of you the priceless information that is presented in this forum. Your reviews/opinions of Standtasic and NI's B4 have helped tremendously.

Now for some selfish knowledge gathering - I need a bit of advice. I'm considering a purchase - either a used CX3, a new VK8, a used VK7 or a used Voce V5.

My current rig consists of an Alesis QS6.1 and a Roland A-33 controller below it. I run the Alesis in "Mix" mode allowing for splits like piano on the bottom and hammond on top, or a dual manual hammond or manual/pedal split. I also use rhodes/wurly and clav, or clav and hammond, etc. I also run some synth leads on top as well.

So here are my concerns: I don't really want to add a third board to my rig, if I bought one of the hammond clones I'd hope it could replace my A-33. So can I run the clone as a straight controller so that I could still use the Alesis piano/clav/ep sounds as I am doing now? And then when I want to use a B3 sound, use the clone as normal? And what if I wanted the the use the QS6 as a second manual to the clone? I'm sort of picturing running Midi-Out on the Alesis to the Midi-In on the clone and vice versa (QS6 Midi-In to clone Midi-Out). Each then has audio outs that can be routed however I see fit (do I then buy a small 4-ch mixer before my amp/DI?).

My understanding of Midi would be that both boards would be generating sound all the time, and I simply turn up which one I want to hear. But is there a way where I don't have to do this? Obviously, ideally for big gigs, or whatever, I can use all three boards for complete seperation - I just add the clone to my current rig and use it for my hammond sound.

I guess my biggest problem is that I want 2 boards, a great hammond sound but would like to avoid having to play my piano parts on the QS6.1 - I know the VK8 has some piano patches but when I've played it in the store, I can never isolated it completely (there's always organ playing as well).

So that's where my thought of the V5 came into play...if I just add it to my current rig, what are the issues there? It also has audio out so will I again need to buy a mixer? Is the V5 too big to velcro to my A-33? Its definetely NOT a deep board. I still need to buy a leslie sim - I'm looking at the Rotosphere. I'm also just considering a Rotosphere for right now to spruce up my QS6 hammond patches - I've hear they're really good.

Aaaggghh!!! Help! As you can tell, I don't have $2000 to throw around, otherwise I'd just get a new CX3 and be done with it. I've been looking for a deal somewhere and was hoping to improve my sound/rig for like $800...is it possible? I can't stand my B3 patches as they are (thin and wobbly) and I really don't want to play with 3 boards - I'm not good enough and I'd feel pretentious. Any ideas?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dabowsa:

First off, I want to thank all of you the priceless information that is presented in this forum. Your reviews/opinions of Standtasic and NI's B4 have helped tremendously.

Now for some selfish knowledge gathering - I need a bit of advice. I'm considering a purchase - either a used CX3, a new VK8, a used VK7 or a used Voce V5.

My current rig consists of an Alesis QS6.1 and a Roland A-33 controller below it. I run the Alesis in "Mix" mode allowing for splits like piano on the bottom and hammond on top, or a dual manual hammond or manual/pedal split. I also use rhodes/wurly and clav, or clav and hammond, etc. I also run some synth leads on top as well.

So here are my concerns: I don't really want to add a third board to my rig, if I bought one of the hammond clones I'd hope it could replace my A-33. So can I run the clone as a straight controller so that I could still use the Alesis piano/clav/ep sounds as I am doing now? And then when I want to use a B3 sound, use the clone as normal? And what if I wanted the the use the QS6 as a second manual to the clone? I'm sort of picturing running Midi-Out on the Alesis to the Midi-In on the clone and vice versa (QS6 Midi-In to clone Midi-Out). Each then has audio outs that can be routed however I see fit (do I then buy a small 4-ch mixer before my amp/DI?).

My understanding of Midi would be that both boards would be generating sound all the time, and I simply turn up which one I want to hear. But is there a way where I don't have to do this? Obviously, ideally for big gigs, or whatever, I can use all three boards for complete seperation - I just add the clone to my current rig and use it for my hammond sound.

I guess my biggest problem is that I want 2 boards, a great hammond sound but would like to avoid having to play my piano parts on the QS6.1 - I know the VK8 has some piano patches but when I've played it in the store, I can never isolated it completely (there's always organ playing as well).

So that's where my thought of the V5 came into play...if I just add it to my current rig, what are the issues there? It also has audio out so will I again need to buy a mixer? Is the V5 too big to velcro to my A-33? Its definetely NOT a deep board. I still need to buy a leslie sim - I'm looking at the Rotosphere. I'm also just considering a Rotosphere for right now to spruce up my QS6 hammond patches - I've hear they're really good.

Aaaggghh!!! Help! As you can tell, I don't have $2000 to throw around, otherwise I'd just get a new CX3 and be done with it. I've been looking for a deal somewhere and was hoping to improve my sound/rig for like $800...is it possible? I can't stand my B3 patches as they are (thin and wobbly) and I really don't want to play with 3 boards - I'm not good enough and I'd feel pretentious. Any ideas?

You can isolate the piano on the vk8 by pushing the sliders all the way in. You can also (I believe) use the midi on the back to drive it from a second manual, using the sliders on the vk8 with that midi source. So you could use the piano on the VK8 and use the QS6 as the top manual for the organ.

Archived