Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any one using Sample Tank XL OR/And Sonic Reality Conic synth?

Dr Teeth

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sampletank is worth way more than the price tag, IMHO, and the sound library is growing every day. It doesn't stream from hard disk, so you don't have the huge samples you can get with Gigastudio. But, if you have a fast computer to run it on, it is serious competition for any ROMpler-based sound module. The user interface is great, and I've found it to be really CPU-friendly too. This one's a no-brainer.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I think both are very good and worth the money. You do get more sounds with Sonic Synth for less money though. This is just fact. As far as which is better well...that should be for a user to say since I am the main person who made Sonic Synth's sound content.

I know that Rabid who frequents this forum has it and so does David Bryce (although I am not sure if those guys also have Sampletank XL to compare). I'll tell you what. If you or anyone else REALLY wants to know about how Sonic Synth compares to XL's sounds or other VSTi products for that matter, you can read user reviews here: www.kvr-vst.com

Also, you can read info and listen for yourself with downloadable mp3 demo riffs of about 100 Sonic Synth sounds here: www.sonicreality.com/sonicsynthmore.html

There's even some free ST (and other sampler format) sounds from us from www.esoundz.com (you would need a commercial Sampletank to playback the free sounds though- currently ST FREE does not work with them but that will also change soon :) ).

I hope that helps. Perhaps someone who has these two will catch this thread and post right here as well. Since Sonic Synth is new (and also distributed by IK Multimedia as well FYI) there will be more and more users around who can offer their opinions as it becomes available in the stores shortly.

Of course, I am usually around to talk about this and that as well.

I cannot compare both directly because I have held off on STXL. After a lot of study I chose to go with SonicSynth with the possibility of upgrading to STXL later. At this time the extra funactionality of a full version of ST was not worth the price difference. Sonic Reality is an established producer of sample libraries and I have been happy with the SonicSynth collection. I also like those $60 eROM's though they will work with SonicSynth or SampleTankXL.

One thing to do is consider what you can get with the same amount of money. I would choose SonicSynth ($250) + Pentagon ($100) over SampleTankXL ($350) any day. Or, SonicSynth + 1 eROM + JunoX2.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived