Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nooooooooooooo....

Dave Bryce

Anyone for Walt Disney, "It's a small world after all"? -- do you remember it? I loved the little "in" joke on that in "The Lion King" (where Scar is trying to get the bird to sing some tune from his cage to cheer him up....."No! NO! Anything but that!!" -- I heartily agree!).

Loggins & Messina... I wish I hadn't peeked on in this one, there goes my evening.

Quick, another really, really bad song to drive that one out of my head, let me see..... "That's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I liiike it, uh-huh uh-huh, that's the way..." no... doesn't quite do it... er... "Voulez vous couchez avec mois, ce soir?" naaah, I have kinda fond memories dancing to that when it came out, hmmm... (skimming thru the "LP Pile of Shame").... MAN I have good taste!.. sigh.... ah! here it is: "The Creator Has a Master Plan," on Pharaoh Sanders' "Karma," vocal by Leon Thomas. It's an okay piece for about 4 minutes but it goes on _endlessly_ (copyright 1968, btw)... I still hear it echoing many years later..."The Creator Has a Master Plan.... Peace and Happiness for Every Man...." over and over, Crimson and Clover (Tommy James and the Shondells)...

aaagh!! I think I'm having a musical aneurysm!!!

rt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I JUST CALLED..... TO SAY..... I LOVE YOU!!! The most cheezy tune with the most cheezy sounds! How come one of the greatest geniuses in pop music comes up with with a monster like this? Could be money, money, money... Ouch, that one is pretty horrible too!

The Chickendance, is that the original Dutch Vogeltjesdans with the accordeons? Ohhh, mama...

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

I'd like to say 2 things...

first, my picks for worst songs generally go to the rap and hip hop genre, but right now, I'm going to pick "falling" by alicia keyes simply because it's just arpeggios with cheesy harmonies and it won best song. I've gotten into a heated debate on this like a year ago when I was more regular here, but that's my opinion. Nu metal also makes me sick (staind, linkin park, godsmack, System of a down etc).

Secondly, radiohead. Before I forget to say this, I think it's weird that you guys keep talking about how bad thom yorke's vocals are or how you have to get used to them. If anything, him and Maynard (from tool and apc) have the BEST voices of modern rock right now. I mean seriously, look at his range (low and high). He can sing notes in the higher register without forcing them out like the guys from creed or staind which sounds REALLY nice. He also has PERFECT vibrato (not too light, not too harsh) and it also sounds beautiful when he's singing in falsetto. Sure, he has his warbles, but they're not too bad and the general color of his voice is too beautiful to be overlooked because of these things. I mean listen to the middle section of paranoid android and tell me he's a bad singer. Also, check out the live version of Spinning Plates.

As for KID A and amnesiac, I feel that the albums aren't as bad as people are saying, and they aren't as good as people are saying either. I felt they were overated, but they definitely weren't that mediocre. I think the problem was that each album had some good songs mixed with some really bad songs. If I had it my way, I'd take the best half of each album and make one album of the two. I agree that a lot of it is just terrible (hunting bears, treefingers, pulk, pack like sardines etc.) but songs like you and whos army, dollars and cents, and how to disappear are excellent.

My biggest problem with the last two albums were that they would climax in a lot of songs (like idioteque on the second chorus) and then just keep dragging on. A lot of the songs lasted about 1-2 minutes longer than they should have OR should have had the endings replaced with something more interesting.

As for OK computer, I think most of us agree it's an excellent album (but I feel it had 3 bad songs on it). The bends is good, but it feels kind of mediocre. I mean the songs were written well, but the album sounded like everything else that was coming out at the time. You know, typical 5 piece alternative rock band with verse chorus stuff. I only like 4 songs on pablo honey.

I'm wary of this thread, but I'll chime in.

Styx--worst band ever. And I even like prog rock, you know? I think Kansas was a good band.

Denis Deyoung--worst solo act ever. See the connection?

In a way, hating something passionately is a testament to its power, so I feel like saying that the music I really hate is the mounds and mounds of stuff that doesn't move me one way or the other.

I have a very sensitive "Manilow button" and am easily creeped out by emotional manipulation, esp. sweeping modulations in the final chorus. Even so, Harry Chapin makes me cry against my will.

I have a pronounced distaste for Natalie Merchant, even though she's a local.

I am so friggin sick of what has become of the early 90s rock band sound--earnest, calculated, unconscious crap, over and over. "This is how you remind me...?" Who does that dross? The grunge baritone just pisses me off these days. And I like The Nirvanas. The Pearl Jams were a good band too. And I really liked The Soundgardens for a while. But The Posies were my favorite Seattle band.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Muskrat Love. It doesn't get played enough to merit true hatred, but the lyrics are god awful as are the analog synth muskrat bits.

I am so happy Dave Barry took some time to make fun of it. Why did America cover this song?

Im surprised no one mentioned Barbie Girl. The only thing good about that song was the lawsuit than ensued from the manufacturer. How does that song go?

Im a Barbie girl

In the Barbie world

Life of plastic.

Its fantastic

You can brush my hair

Undress me every where

Imagination

Life is your creation.

Ok, everyone got that song running through their heads now? Good. My work here is done.

Everyone sing along.

Come on Barbie

Lets go party

Ah, ah, ah yea

Come on Barbie

Lets go party

Ew-whoa, ew-whoa

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One of many

"How Do You Do?" by something like Mouth and McNeal

How do you do? Uh-huh!

I thought why not Na-na na-na

Just me and you, and then we can Na-na na-na

Just like before, and you will say Na-na na-na

Hey that's what I'm living for!

:freak:

Originally posted by Rabid:

Im surprised no one mentioned Barbie Girl. The only thing good about that song was the lawsuit than ensued from the manufacturer. How does that song go?

Im a Barbie girl

In the Barbie world

Life of plastic.

Its fantastic

You can brush my hair

Undress me every where

Imagination

Life is your creation.

Ok, everyone got that song running through their heads now? Good. My work here is done.

Everyone sing along.

Come on Barbie

Lets go party

Ah, ah, ah yea

Come on Barbie

Lets go party

Ew-whoa, ew-whoa

Robert

See, you're not appreciating the completely tongue-in-cheek aspect of that track. It wasn't supposed to be a good song. It was a poke at blond bimbos, delivered with the same sarcastic arrangement that the vocal demanded.

Next you'll start picking on old Weird Al or something :D

Archived