Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Way to Mount a Rack Synth

Jonah

Based upon advice of this board and my own investigations, I have decided to purchase a Kurzweil PC-2000 rack module and keep my Korg N1 as a controller.

I currently play in a cover band using the 88 key N1 as my main board and use an old analog synth just for kicks. I have no experience using modules in a live situation.

How hard is it? Should I buy a little rack to hold the module? If I buy a rack, are there other "must have" effect processors I should consider using. (I play almost exclusively piano at home and my synth rig live).

Jonah

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suggestion would be to get one of the smaller SKB cases, maybe a 4U or even 2U. Even if you just have this module, not only will it protect it, but it was works as a good way to organize yourself. For instance.

- Keep a surge protector inside the skb case, and have just cable going out to the N1. This will allow you to setup faster.

- Organize your audio and midi cables as well. Keep everything tidy with ty-wraps.

You may be able to put in a small mixer in there, and then just send stereo (mono?) outs to the house mixer.

You probably shouldn't worry about an effects box, I don't think.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

You probably want to keep it easily in reach while playing. You "can" set everything up so you can select patches form your keyboard, but I still like to see what patch name pops up on screen, and be able to tweek the knobs. Consider a keyboard stand that allows the Kurz module to sit just above your keyboard. At home I have a rack that sits next to the keyboards. The top half is angled and my Nord Modular sits there so that it is easy to grab a knob and twist.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

You probably want to keep it easily in reach while playing. You "can" set everything up so you can select patches form your keyboard, but I still like to see what patch name pops up on screen, and be able to tweek the knobs. Consider a keyboard stand that allows the Kurz module to sit just above your keyboard. At home I have a rack that sits next to the keyboards. The top half is angled and my Nord Modular sits there so that it is easy to grab a knob and twist.

Robert

I have a 4U half depth (10") SKB case sitting on a guitar amp stand "end on" so that the screen is almost straight up and within reach. If I had an amp on the stand it would be facing away from me. However, its a bit of a pain - a custom built stand would be better and could probably be designe dto be easier to carry.

I've found that the missionary position is the best way to mount a rack...
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

I've found that the missionary position is the best way to mount a rack...

Thank God! I got through the first few replies and thought to myself, "Don't tell me everybody is passing this up!" Way to go Joe! ;):D

Thank God! I got through the first few replies and thought to myself, "Don't tell me everybody is passing this up!" Way to go Joe! ;):D
It's a dirty job, but SOMEBODY'S gotta do it...
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived