Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland XV-3080 vs. the new XV-5050

EZB

I'm looking to add a Roland module to my rig. I don't want to splurge on 5080, so I am looking at the 3080 or the new 5050.

Street price on the 3080 seems to be about $1000, whereas the 5050 is coming in lower at about $800. Both accept JV and SRX boards, both have (I think) 64 Mb of onboard sample ROM. The 3080 has 128 voices whereas the 5050 only has 64, but I've heard that the 5050's COSM effects are better. Given that 64 voices is enough for me, I am leaning towards the 5050 for $200 less, better COSM, and possibly a few new fresh presets.

Opinions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love the roland stuff. i have a jd-990 and a jv-2080 among other goodies. i know that you're interested in buying the 3080 or the 5050, but have you considered the E-mu Proteus 2500? i haven't played with one yet, so i don't know how it compares with the roland XV line.

g.

If this will be your main sound source think hard about the 64 vs. 128 voices. Many Roland patches use 4 voices. That may knock polyphony down as low as 16 vs. 32. I did not realize the 3080 had 128. I think one other difference is the 5050 uses the Fantom programs while the 3080 uses the standard XV presets.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks folks. Based on the comments here, I'm leaning towards the 5050. And 64 voices is definitely enough--I am using this to augment an already pretty deep rig for live playing, so the 3080's extra voices aren't a big selling point for me.

g05: I'm dealing with pretty limited rack space, and the Proteus 2500 is a little too big for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Rabid:

If this will be your main sound source think hard about the 64 vs. 128 voices. Many Roland patches use 4 voices. That may knock polyphony down as low as 16 vs. 32.

It's worse than that.

I believe that the XV engine lets you use two samples in a tone (for stereo), so that a sound that has four tones can now use up to eight voices of polyphony per note.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived