Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A stupid question about samples?

Dr Teeth

sorry but?if i am a user that like preset and beside that i dont have special skills in programming, if i buy a sampler could i have the presets of virtually any keyboard that i could samples. couldnot i? is there any con other than de quality of sound?(because 99.99999999999 per centre of my listener does not even what sampler and what a preset is).
Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi:

If I understand your question right...there are "sample libraries" for samplers (hardware and software). The most common hardware ones that I know of are the akai libraries and the kurzweil libraries. So, lets say you buy a kurzweil, you can purchase the 'strings and orchestral' library and load it - no programming required.

Same with software samplers. Unity, reaktor, etc...all sell cd roms with sample libraries and come with lots of preloads. Whether or not you're a programmer, it can be pretty fun to create your own samples though, it's not like computer programming. Most interfaces are really user friendly even to tweak the pre-existing samples.

~nel

A sampler is a digital recorder that plays back recordings

assigned to keys.

So to give you a very simple answer, yes you can record anything into a sampler and play it back.

There is more to a certain synth than just it's "samples"

But that's another story.

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

I have, on occasion, sampled sounds from keyboards that I was planning on selling. The complications are these if you're dealing with a traditional RAM-based sampler:

You have to record enough of the original instrument to cover the playing range that you'll need. A common practice is to sample every fourth note. You will have to determine how long the note needs to be sampled. With RAM-based samplers you need to be concerned about available memory so you want the sample to be only as long as necessary. Typically each note, during the sustain (or decay) portion will need to be looped. This can be tricky as you're trying to find a section of the sound that can be looped without artifacts. There are some tools available, like Seamless Looper (PC), that make this process easier. Each note will have to be editted, trimmed and the volume made uniform across the entire instrument. Another problem is that if the preset uses effects (nearly all do) these can make for real headaches when you're trying to loop. Delays and choruses are very difficult to loop. If you sample without effects, you'll need to try to re-create them in the sampler, which might or might not be successful. Some synth sounds are very dynamic and change extensively when controllers are used. These are going to be a real challenge to recreate using samples. Bottomline is that sampling is very time consuming and labor intensive, which is why most people rely on pre-made sample libraries.

Samplers load their programs from hard disk, floppy or Zip. This can take several seconds to several minutes depending on program size. Obviously this can be an issue in live performance.

I think you're going to find that sampling is fine for the occasional preset, but not the type of thing you want to do on a regular basis.

Busch.

hi,

You shouldn't bother about listeners of your not knowing what presets or samples are, most people who're not musicians don't ! If it sounds right why bother about presets,samples,etc,... ?

One thing you did't mention (I think) is if you're talking about a hardware or software sampler as if you want to use one of the many soundlibraries available on cd-rom you should mind the format. I own a Emulator X4 (hardware) and it reads emu eos samples and akai format saple cd-roms via SCSI but not those of Roland, Kurzweil, Yamaha,etc,...it's also impossible to load simple WAV samples (well it does but only via the floppy drive and it takes a couple of minutes to load a 5 second sample (so it's useless) - thank u very much EMU !!!).

Of course many samplelibraries are available on audio cd's but you'll have to sample the sounds first and then edit them and if you don't have a kind of harddisc in your machine or a kind of zip-drive, once you switch of your sampler, bye bye sounds and start all over again.

Honestly, if I had the choice I'd rather buy a software sampler.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:

If you are wanting to emulate acoustic instruments, as opposed to electronic instruments, a software sampler is far superior with its many capabilities that a hardware sampler does not have.

Kip

Bardstown Audio

I have a Yamaha A4000 Sampler, and some excellent CD's (Miroslav String ensembles, Symphony Of voices, Rhodes Compile, Strat Guitars etc) which produce great Acoustic sounds, as well as synth. Wouldn't swap my Harware for a software one.

A7

well, i have some money and i am seling my 01 w, i want to buy a saxophone but ifi buy a good one i dont have enough to my pc2x. so my idea was if i could buy a sp88 and gigasampler, and the sample the keyboard of my friends and use their saound? is a crazy idea? well or some thing like an akai.
Rebuilding My Self

Archived