Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acid Pro 2.0 info

LiveMusic

Is Acid Pro 2.0 for $150 a good deal? Their website says it's $350 or so.

I don't even know if I need it. Forgive my rookiness. I have a new Yamaha PSR740 and am new to keyboards. What would Acid Pro do for me that this Yamaha won't?

All of this synthesizer / sampler / workstation stuff is giving me a headache but if it's a deal hard to refuse, I guess I could stagger into it. All I've ever known is acoustic guitar. I'm trying to turn myself into a solo act with guitar and keyboard. I figure I should be learning some of this sampling stuff as I go along during my self-imposed six months practice period. Or, I could just forget it and focus on working on actual PLAYING for now. And maybe work into the software side in a few months. (If I need to at all... or will this Yamaha be all I need to do?)

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Acid Pro for $150.00 isn't bad but wouldn't call it a GREAT deal. What I would call a pretty damn good deal is 5 acid loop libraries AND Acid Pro 2.0 for $199.00 . They are selling 5 similar loop libraries (called style stations I believe) for $199.00 which in and of itself ain't that great but then they throw in Acid Pro 2.0 for *free* . You have to hurry though as this promo ends at the end of this month.

There is a HUGE HUGE difference between what you can do with this program and what your PSR740 will do but since I'm no expert either I won't get into it. Maybe someone who really knows what they are talking about can explain. You can go to Sonic Foundry's web site and download a trial version of Acid Pro and some loops to get an idea of what it is and how it works. The full version is a really cool program that allows you to do some pretty amazing things if your into loop based music.

I would also like to make a suggestion.

Slow down a little.

I have been following your other posts on all the boards, and applaud what you are trying to do. But what you want to accomplish is no menial task, it will take you YEARS to truly learn how to do all this stuff that you want to do. Believe me, I'm in a somewhat similar boat, it's very daunting.

I can tell you as a guitar player turned Piano newbie, it's going to take a while , even practicing an hour a day, to gain enough proficiency at the piano to really be able to play it.

Now add into that trying to learn MIDI, Sequencing, Using audio loops, etc....... It's a ton of info to try and process in a short amount of time. I highly doubt 6 months will be enough time to cover it all.

Probably the easiest thing for you to do would be to get some GM files of songs you want to do, Take out the acoustic guitar or piano track (if there is one) if you want to play it, and get those songs down. Once you have that figured out, and a set list going, you can get out and start gigging. This will give you a chance to see if you really want to do this sort of thing before you've got a third mortgage on your home trying to finance everything!!!

Good luck and keep at it, the knowledge comes, albeit VERY SLOWLY http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

Phil.

This message has been edited by Stratman on 03-27-2001 at 10:45 PM

This message has been edited by Stratman on 03-27-2001 at 10:52 PM

I use acid pro 2.0 and it's a great program, but making loops that actually loop well is extremely difficult. What I do is use the loops for acid but I try to change them and vary them in a way so that I can honestly call them my own and use my keyboard hooked up to Fruity Loops to add some atmosphere over the music. As far as that deal goes for $199, that's a steal! Make sure to download the trial and some of those loops as soon as possible.

As far as how you work, I personally decided to not write any music at all and focus on playing piano 2 or 3 hours a day so that I can get into a good music school. When I came back to my writing, I got a lot of better ideas even though I had not opened acid in 3 months. I recommend you work on piano and harmony theory first because ever since it was invented in the early 1700's the piano has been the most important tool for all composers. You can practically do anything with it. Make it your main focus for 6 months and try to relate everything you can between the keyboard and guitar while keeping your composition ideas in your head. I think that's the best way to do it.

Mike

Archived