Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TIPS****

Joe Cool

Hey

Does any one have tips on first solo-ing for jazz keyboard/piano? Other than chords in the left have (ya know the Bb Eb Bb F Eb Bb) and then the Bb blues scale.... I just mess around with the scale and the chords but other than that i don't know what else to do, espcially in the right hand.

Also any tips on staying with a jazz band or a band in general...I can play the music and all that but sometimes I get off from the band because the piano part is so different than the other parts. I also play the alto saxophone and it is easy because you have other people playing the same thing. But for piano......it is different

any tips thanks

Cool

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A real quick and easy way to get into some cool exploration is to take that I position blues scale ( in your example Bb) and play it in other keys. Still comping on the Bb, play a blues lick in Ab, C, or F. If you are playing dom 7th based stuff you can play pentatonics in these keys. If a more major progression use a major scale based improv, ect.

Hope that makes sense. With a little experimentation you can go alot of places from there.

good luck, John http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Archived