Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rush and Pink Floyd with XP-30

lfthomaz

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomaz:

I don't have either of those CD's in front of me. So I am going off memory. Neither of the sounds you are referring to, are "emulated" on the XP factory sound set. Also, I don't recall seing anything in the user community, so you would have to tweak your way toward it. The rest of this post, assumes some familiarity with synthesizers and terminology. Please let me know if I am using too much jargon and I will expand on your question.

The Rush tune, as I recall was mostly prophet 5 with a pretty standard brassy patch. Start with Preset A68 - Poly Brass, replace the moogy waveforms (B26-28) with the prophet saw waveforms (B32-35) and you should start getting close pretty quickly. I believe the JV2080 factory patches include one called POLYMOD. This one does an imitation of the Prophet's oscillator mod sound. (Download from www.lilchips.com) Not needed for this song, but perhaps for other Rush songs. Also the vintage board has some oscillator sync waveforms, which would be a good thing if you wanted to do a lot of Rush. (Alternatively, virtual analog synths are getting cheaper, all the time.)

The floyd song uses a string pad and a mellow horn sound. Let's start with the string pad. I would work from patch #188 on the session board (comes with the xp30) Solina, which is a little too buzzy. Tone 2 has a very resonant filter so you can reduce the buzzyness by reducing the volume of tone 2, or reducing the cutoff resonance and filter envelope settings (in the TVF menu). Alternatively you can work from patch C:55 Vintage Orchestra.

For the horn sound, I would work from patch C15: True Analog. This patch is an emulation of a Yamaha CS80 horn sound, but with a little tweaking it would work for the floyd (moog) sound. First switch the waveforms to the Moog saw waveforms (B26-B28). They are currently set to some JP8 waveforms. Secondly, you wil notice there is too much filter envelope (the sound changes too much over time). So go to the TVF menu and reduce the filter depth and concurrently raise the cutoff. That should get you in the ball park pretty quickly.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

This message has been edited by Tusker on 03-28-2001 at 08:13 AM

Archived