Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using the Nova to filter external sounds?

Does anyone here have any experience using a Novation Nova for filtering external sounds?

Is there a way to make give filter settings some sort of manual control? I assume LFO modulation is usual, but how about envelope following?

I've been thinking about using a filter on some of my older digital synths, and maybe even something like my old Korg DDD-1 drum machine. I'm not sure, but I think this can be done with the Nova. It's virtual analog, of course, but it might well put a nice analog smoothness to something like my original DX-7. I have no clue as to how to do this, but I'm going to try to find information on it. Maybe everything old will be new again. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that the SupernovaII series (incl. the Nova II) will let you process external signals through the filters and effects and vocoder. I'm not sure about the original Nova. But what is your real question: are you thinking about buying the Nova or some other virtual analog synth? Or maybe you just want to buy a separate analog filter?

In the latter case there are delightfully a fair number of models to choose from, in a fairly wide price range: The MAM Warp-9 is only around $200 and is a 4-mode 12-db/octave filter with full Midi control and ten knobs. You can read about it in the March issue of Keyboard. There are also the two Electrix Filters (FilterQueen and FilterFactory), the Moogerfoger lowpass filter (super FAT), the Waldorf 4-pole, and at the top of the pack, the amazingly flexible Sherman Filterbank, which just kicks everything else's butt. Check it out at http://www.sherman.be and for the best prices on this and a bunch of other stuff go to www.drummachine.com which I'm not affiliated with but is a great site for buying this kind of stuff. They're now even distributing the cool Australian filter box and stop effects called Frostwave

Originally posted by Steve44:

I'm sure that the SupernovaII series (incl. the Nova II) will let you process external signals through the filters and effects and vocoder. I'm not sure about the original Nova. But what is your real question: are you thinking about buying the Nova or some other virtual analog synth? Or maybe you just want to buy a separate analog filter?

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I already have a Nova, but I've only used it as synth module. I am certain that it can modify an external audio input in some way (it has the inputs, and I recall that it has a vocoder ability for sure... just not sure about the rest).

My question should have been more specifically addressed to any Nova users who have actually usedthe Nova in that way. I thought they might give me a jumpstart. I finally dug up the manual, which I hadn't seen for a year, but it isn't that clear on this point. I think I may be able to make it out perhaps with Novation tech help, but a current user with actual experience in this way might not only explain how, but give some input on the effectiveness of using the Nova that way. I've got this old Korg DVP-1, a digital vocoder and pitch shifter that was a high end unit in its day, so that's one reason I've not attempted the vocoder in the Nova. It's been a while since I've used the DVP-1, but I'm just now recalling that either the pitch shifting or the vocoder function is on the blink.

I thank you for the free-standing filter information, because lately I'm interested in using filters on things other than synths that have their own. When I heard an MP3 of an old filtered drum machine, I was amazed at the character it added. I used to get a little crazy apply effects to my Yamaha grand for rock songs before I had a polyphonic synth. I'd use an Orban Parasound notch filter, MXR Digital Delay, and heavy EQ to try to make it electronic sounding but still musical. I suspect a filter would go nuts there, too, although now I'd apply it to a digital piano, since I moved the Yamaha to the living room. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Archived