Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Complete Resource of Songs' B-3 Settings?

Anyone know a source or sources that have a thorough listing of Hammond B3 drawbar settings (as well as percussion harmonics, how hard the tubes are driven to distortion, or any other applicable information) that have been used on famous pop/rock/r&b/jazz songs from the past or present?

The more the merrier. Knowing such things as the settings for "Green Eyed Lady" and "Green Onion" and any of a number of well known or must hear organ parts would be a good learning tool. Also, there have been times that I've actually wanted a specific sound I recall from the past. Knowing what makes it what it is would be a terrific starting point, and would probably lead to a little tweaking that makes the setting fit my application better.

I'm sure there are magazine articles and possibly some books that have some information. I'd like to know about those hopefully a book that collects a large number of such settings in one place.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you download the demo of the Native Instruments B4 program - it has a whole bunch of the classic presets, and it has a view that shows you the drawbar positions, drive settings, etc.

I'll bet that'll help. I also wouldn't be surprised if you end up buying the program. http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/net/icon102.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Dave... Thanks for the suggestion about the Native Instruments B4 program download. I'd like to try it on my PC instead of Mac (where I do music), so I am hoping it can demo itself without a keyboard connected.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I'll bet that'll help. I also wouldn't be surprised if you end up buying the program.

dB

You DIRTY DOG!!! (Just kidding) Like I need to be tempted that way. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif Oh, well, here goes nothing. I must be strong. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

This message has been edited by musicman1@ovation.net on 03-25-2001 at 11:46 AM

Be warned! If you download the demo and try it, you will have to have it! I bought it and is without a doubt the closest thing to a real B3 I have ever heard. I play it as a stand-alone and it is simply amazing. And Dave is right, there are probably at least 50 presents with names like "Emerson's Basic", "Green Onions", "Lord1", etc. that are very well done. All of the drawbar, vibrato and leslie settings are shown and completely adjustable. Best $130 I've ever spent.............cheers

Speaking of the B-4....

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it's great. Yeah, they got presets like Jon Lord's, Keith Emerson's, Booker T.'s, but you gotta mess with subtle things like harmonics & the vibrato vs. Leslie effect to get the nuances of songs within the different artist. The main difference between the B-4 and every other B-3 wanna-be is the warmth of the overdrive and how it affects of color of the sound before distorting it. Also, the fullness of the Leslie, especially when the top horn is mic'd close.

One question--I got the latency down to 50 ms--to me, tolerable but still would like better. Any thoughts?

jay

Originally posted by jay:

Speaking of the B-4....

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it's great. Yeah, they got presets like Jon Lord's, Keith Emerson's, Booker T.'s, but you gotta mess with subtle things like harmonics & the vibrato vs. Leslie effect to get the nuances of songs within the different artist. The main difference between the B-4 and every other B-3 wanna-be is the warmth of the overdrive and how it affects of color of the sound before distorting it. Also, the fullness of the Leslie, especially when the top horn is mic'd close.

One question--I got the latency down to 50 ms--to me, tolerable but still would like better. Any thoughts?

jay

Don't know your system but check this out-

http://www.kvr-vst.com/

Latency depends on so many things- I've got 8ms on a PII 350, whoo-hoo!

Midiman Delta DiO with 256 MB RAM, though- and that's one instance of the instrument as a VST plugin, playing alone or against against one stereo backing/scratch audio track. So even on a low budget "real time" is doable, it just takes more work and tweaking.

The B4 and other softsynths benefit immensely from going line-out to a mic'd combo in a good room. Low-noise, schmow-noise, a bit of hiss and the occaisional footstep only adds to the music!

Moving to a place with high cielings and hardwood floors is the best investment I've made in years. In fact, maybe I should limit all my forum postings to "hardwood floors and high cielings!"

Favorite piece of gear? Hardwood floors and high cielings!

Most inspiring recent musical experience?Hardwood floors and high cielings!

O.K., Dave... gang...

You're right. B4 is very cool. VERY. I am very glad to have downloaded it. As a source for drawbar settings it is really something. I mean, not only do you get basic settings, but you can watch - in real-time - those interesting changes of settings in the middle of the demo songs. The sound is excellent, too.

I gotta tell, you, though, that there are currently a number of very good B3 clones. We went for years with poor attempts, but suddenly the flood gates opened. The Keyboard Magazine shoot-outs were very interesting as far as subtle nuances go, and it used a point system to "measure" various impressions. Dollar-wise, when compared to the WONDERFUL sound, the B4 would be a no brainer for lots of studio people or even live people that have a solid live notebook computer and the necessary additions.

I tried the VK-7 (sounded excellent) and I used to have the original Micro-B (it sounded pretty good but with some problems concerning the key click/harmonics, but it improved with the Micro B-II). I've also tried some others that were touted as having really good B3. No matter what, though, I've been vexed from the very beginning because none of them, including Hammond-Suzuki's OWN original portable XB-2, had the right kind of keys! Regular synth keys bother me when playing B3. Then they came out with the XK-2. Considering its sound, which is wonderful... and I've had it side-by-side with an old 1952 tone-wheel Hammond in A-1 shape (not a B3, but same tone wheels and drawbars - their "spinet")... combined with its Hammond-styled waterfall keys, *IT* was a no-brainer for me. I like its sound every bit as much as the B4 (well, better, except I've only heard the B4 through decent computer speakers - good, but not the same larger speakers as I've used with the XK-2), so the B4 would be redundant to me.

In fact, I would STRONGLY suggest that anyone looking for an all-in-one B3 keyboard to go for it. Sounds great, has a Leslie input for live if you want it, but I prefer its emulator to a Leslie for recording, and it LOOKS great. Also, it says HAMMOND! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Nevertheless, I would recommend the B4 to anyone that records with a computer or has one they can use it on free-standing. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. All of the B4 hype is NOT hype. It is truly amazing. If I had a B4, I'd use the XK-2 to trigger it because of the neat keys, but frankly, that wouldn't make sense for me. And meanwhile, on that last Keyboard Magazine B3 clone shoot-out, the Hammond XK-2 took the top honors, but with others very close on its heels. Truth is, they are all getting so good that the placebo effect has kicked in; subjective and greatly effected by moods, blood sugar, and belief. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Archived