Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha P-80 vs. Technics SX P-50

penfrydd

I'm just getting back to playing keyboards after only playing acoustic piano for the last 35 years. I like a real piano feel and find the Yamaha P-80 or P-200 to be outstanding. Then I tried a Technics SX P-50 and liked that as well. I'm taking the long, slow approach here. I used to haul a Farfisa and Twin Reverb amp around when I was in a basement band. It makes sense to me to just go with the keyboard that feels good. If I ever want all the bells and whistles, I can add them later, can't I?

I play lots of classical, and am getting into improvising jazz mostly. I don't see myself doing much rock anymore, but if I do, it would be old stuff that doesn't need all these exotic sounds.

Am I limiting myself by getting one of these low-end keyboards?

penfrydd

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it you want to do? Since you are so familiar with a quality piano sound you may want to be as careful as you are.

The Yamaha has a heavier feel to me, which I tend to like. You should also check out the newer Roland XV-88? I have briefly heard that with the upgrade piano board and thought the piano sounds were very good. If you like the feel of a weighted keyboard and the price seems right to you, you can always use it as just a "controller" later on.

If you intend to record from this keyboard be very careful about how the piano sounds recorded. I would suggest you record some pieces from each of the contending pianos and take them home and listen very critically. If you find one whose sound you can live with you're home free. If not...

Look at going to a controller, ie possibly a Fatar 880/990/1200 or others, which has no sounds and then look at a sampler and load it up with memory RAM (64 to 128 megs) and then find piano software that sounds right to you. This approach WILL NOT give you obsolete equipment which loses it's value quickly, but allows you change piano sounds relatively cheaply by only buying new software, ie samples. Check out the Kurzweil K2600, an all in one sampler/controller.

There are some killer piano samples out there that go up to 64 megs or more and sound tremendous. Check out the William Coakley web site and Q-UP Arts for just a couple. You can by cd's from them with their samples on them for you to preview.

Trust your ears. With over 30+ years of acoustic piano experience behind you, you know what a good piano sounds like.

------------------

Jim T.

Jim T.

Thanks for the reply. What do I want to do? Damned if I know. I'm just looking at the difference in cost between restoring my old Steinway grand which I got for cheap versus the cost of an electronic keyboard which I can play through headphones if I want to play at 1 in the morning and not disturb anyone.

As far as recordability is concerned, it's not that big a deal with me. I write for me at this point. If I ever get back to playing out, it will either be as a solo piano, or as part of a small combo.

I tried the Kurzweil keyboards and didn't find that their action was remotely like a piano. The two yamahas are. I only tried the P200 and the P80. I suppose I should try the S80 before I decide.

Thanks for the advice.

penfrydd

As an S80 owner I think that you will find the action not as good as the P80 or P200, and the S80 doesn't have the same piano sounds as the P-series of pianos either (the P-series are better). If you are planning to get into a band situation then a controller may be the way to go for you but if you aren't then I would stay away from one.

It sounds like you need a keyboard that would be good for silent practice as well as solo-piano type gigging so I think you are on the right track with the P80 or P200. I have owned both Yamaha's and Technics in the past and find Yamaha's to be better products generally, but both the P80/P200 and the Technics pianos will allow you to upgrade later to a sampler or module based piano sound. I know that these units have at least one midi transmit channel which is really all you need for piano work. The other upside of a more basic unit (in my experience) is that they hold their value better because they have less bells and whistles to get outdated. Hope this helps.

-Casey

As an S80 owner I think that you will find the action not as good as the P80 or P200, and the S80 doesn't have the same piano sounds as the P-series of pianos either (the P-series are better). If you are planning to get into a band situation then a controller may be the way to go for you but if you aren't then I would stay away from one.

It sounds like you need a keyboard that would be good for silent practice as well as solo-piano type gigging so I think you are on the right track with the P80 or P200. I have owned both Yamaha's and Technics in the past and find Yamaha's to be better products generally, but both the P80/P200 and the Technics pianos will allow you to upgrade later to a sampler or module based piano sound. I know that these units have at least one midi transmit channel which is really all you need for piano work. The other upside of a more basic unit (in my experience) is that they hold their value better because they have less bells and whistles to get outdated. Hope this helps.

-Casey

Archived