Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis HD24 Recorder

Has anyone heard anything about the Alesis HD24 recorder yet? It's hard to believe anyone has a 24 track for under 2 grand that's worth it's salt. But, knowing Alesis, it can't be too shabby. It looks like something that my old, feeble, digitally challenged brain might actually be able to comprehend.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the tip. I don't have time to cruise everywhere. The trouble is that those guys over in Rogers thread are like talking in tongues to someone like me. I have no clue what they are talking about and after reading all the threads I don't know anymore than I did before. It does look like it will be a while before us mere peons get one into our hands though.

What do you want to know about the piece? I'm pretty sure we can dig up the info you want...I believe that there may be one or two Alesians on this forum... http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/net4/popworm.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

What do you want to know about the piece? I'm pretty sure we can dig up the info you want...I believe that there may be one or two Alesians on this forum... http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/net4/popworm.gif

dB

I just want to know how user friendly it is and how good it is. From scanning Roger's column he seems to be pretty impressed with it. But, I am a jazz and blues organist and pianist and thus I'm accustomed to recording everything with my band as live as possible. Therefore, simultaneous track recording is essential. I have tons of outboard equipment, so the workstation route is not only unnecessary, but also cumbersome

and confusing. I want a unit that I can use both in the studio and on location with minimum hassle. I like the removable hard drive idea as opposed to tape that gets eaten. My engineering skills are very old school...as in pre-digital. I tried Cakewalk and Pro tools and these were confusing and didn't offer simultaneous record. I have a Triton that I use for writing and I wore an 01/W out. But, that is the limit of my digital recording experience.

My kids are now grown and my wife and I have gotten back into playing nearly full time. I missed out on much of the digital revolution and so much of what is taken for granted by most is totally foreign to me. I suspect that there must be others out there like me with this problem. My fellow band members share my lament.

I'm not in the poor house by any means, but I also don't have the money to keep throwing away on gear that doesn't meet my needs or that is way over my head. I want something that can come as close to "the way it was" as I can find and yet produce a quality recording that is up to today's standards. The HD24 looks like it might be as close as anything out there to filling the void for me, but I'm reluctant as hell to jump in without knowing for sure.

Sorry, Dave. You just had to ask and I guess it was my time to come out about all this. I don't want to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital abyss. I like to spend most of my time playing and writng, not reading manuals, help pages, talking to tech support and inventing new ways to swear. john http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Sorry, Dave. You just had to ask and I guess it was my time to come out about all this. I don't want to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital abyss. I like to spend most of my time playing and writng, not reading manuals, help pages, talking to tech support and inventing new ways to swear. john http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

No need to apologize, John - I asked for a reason. The recording platform wars are a subject of extreme fascination to me.

It sounds to me like you and the HD24 would get along very well. I think that you'll find its feature set and operating system to be pretty much what you're looking for. Alesis designed this product to be ridiculously easy to use, great sounding and very reliable at an unheard-of price point; and, from everything that I've heard, it seems that it may live up to all of those promises.

If you have specific questions about the unit, post 'em here. They'll get answered.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks for the therapy session, Dave. Perhaps there is hope afterall. I suppose by the time I can get my hands on one everything that can be known about it will be known. It really does look like it might be the answer for me. I hope so. It's been a long uphill battle. I've never stopped playing, but just got out of the business for enough years that I feel kind of like Rumplestiltskin or like I've been on ice or something. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

john

I understand that the HD24 can use the BRC. If I were to use the HD24 and one old black face ADAT (possibly to record ambiance tracks, a la Bruce Swedien), I wonder what benefit (if any) there would be to using a BRC over sequencer control? I don't have a BRC, but I've always thought it would be cool.

Another thing, and this one's tougher. Is there a way to get 24 bit digital in and out of a NuBus Mac? If so, I'm sure it's very third party (if not fourth party http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif). I have an old 8100 Mac (which I might upgrade to G3/G4, but which is still NuBus nevertheless), and would really like to be able to incorporate it.

Deciding a digital format has been difficult, and Wiggum's situation and sentiments are very similar to mine. I've got hardware and old school abilities, but want 24 tracks of digital I can deal with.

Can HD24 tracks be combined internally? For instance, if you have six vocal tracks, would there be a way to combine them into one without going through my analog mixer? Most of my editing would be in terms of moving things around, but some occasional pitch shifting would be good, and I assume that to do that I'd have to get the audio into the computer and them back out to the HD24. I have an old Pro Tools Project system w/hardware (an old 802? anyway, 16 bits). What happens if you try to send HD24 digital into Pro Tools Project, which is expecting 16 bits? Doggone it, I am green!!!

Archived