Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virus Indigo review

marino

Sorry if this is uninteresting, I'm writing in disbelief...

I just learned from the Keyboard review that the beautiful Virus Indigo doesn't have aftertouch. Unbelievable. I was saving to buy one, but my money will go elsewhere. (Maybe the new monosynth from R. Moog)

BTW they also say that the the keys are not the same as those on the Virus KB (cheaper feeling). I have three questions for Access: Why, why, why?!?

marino

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marino:

If you were planning on the indigo, why not get the Kb and get some extra keyboard space as well as a better action and aftertouch with the same sound? Is it a question of space or aesthetics?

Regards,

Jerry

PS: Personally I think Bob's synth (along with Andromeda) will change the standards by which we judge (and price) synths. Hence my desire to wait.

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

This message has been edited by Tusker on 03-22-2001 at 11:14 PM

Marino: My sentiments exactly.. although I rationalized that since I would be putting the Indigo on top of my K5000S that I probably wouldn't worry about the aftertouch all that much. But it's quite strange that they made the knobs bigger and made the front panel more classy, but then went cheapo on the keybed. Pooh.

Tusker: you've got to admit that the silver looks a lot cooler than the red and wood.. even if John Krogh is right in saying that it will only attract other keyboardists....

This message has been edited by Steve44 on 03-22-2001 at 11:24 PM

Tusker,

I should have clarified that one of the things that attracted me to the Indigo was its extreme portability. I am planning to change my live rig, and since I will need a second keyboard AND some analog sounds, the Indigo would fit. I use aftertouch all the time, simply because I have both my hands busy most of the time. It seems that the Indigo is really targeted to techno-dance artists that play a few stiff notes, then operate the filter knob... Nothing against that, but I am a player and I like a consistent keyboard, even if it's small. Or maybe they thought it's a cross between a synth and a module... I think there's really no excuse for building a professional, classy instrument with a keyboard on it, and then to cut corners on the keyboard itself.

Oh well, I wrote that first post out of disappointment, I was already seeing myself onstage with the little beauty... I will definitely wait for the new Moog, it even has a breath controller input I think.

marino

Originally posted by Steve44:

Tusker: you've got to admit that the silver looks a lot cooler than the red and wood.. even if John Krogh is right in saying that it will only attract other keyboardists....

Yeah, you are right, Steve. There is something very attractive about the styling of that little thing, too. The big Kb has it's knobs all scrunched in a corner. Marino, I didn't figure on the portability part. with a little mod, the indigo could be a strap on.

You know I wish we could get some kinda of wrap for synths. Like the advertising wrap you get on buses (it covers the whole bus body including the windows). Then when we get tired of a certain skin we could just dump it and get another.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Archived