Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what module do you recommand for dance/techno/trance...

vudoo

i'm starting a top 40 gigs that includes a big repertoire of Dance/Techno/R&B/funk... I will be doing all the sequences ( BTW, i play drums ).

I'm thimkimg of getting a CS6R and XV 5080. All the sequnces will ne done at my studio and transfered onto SmartMedia to be played back from the Cs6R live along with the XV5080.

Anyone have experience with a similar set up...I need something REAL, REAL reliable. I'm also thinking of dumping all my sequences as audio onto a multitrack hard disk....but still undecided and wonder wich way is more reliable/convenient.

Also, do you guys prefer dedicating a Performance presets to each song or always having the same performance preset and sends it program change, sys-ex...before each song starts. I assume using a predefine performance presets for each song is SAFER. thanks for your valuable inputs

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the music styles you mentioned, I'd look at a Korg Triton Rack and a E-mu Xtreme Lead-1 over the Roland XV-5080 in terms of sounds. I do not own the Triton but I have heard it has some excellent modern kits. I do own a XL-1 with the Techno Synth Contruction Yard ROM, and I can attest to the fact it is loaded with electro percussion, basses, arpegs and the like. In particular, a XL-1 Turbo with the TSCY ROM and Mo Phatt ROM would have a massive soundset for the genres you are talking about.

Also, please do some net and Deja searching about using the CS6r for sequence playback...I know the CS6x/r has had problems with timing of playback with its arpeggiator, so I think it would be prudent to check everything out fully.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

since i play drums myself. Having lots of drum kits is the least of my concern...i want something with BALLS, Lots of great synth stuff. I will check out the Xtreme lead you've mentioned.

Also, please do some net and Deja searching about using the CS6r for sequence playback...I know the CS6x/r has had problems with timing of playback with its arpeggiator, so I think it would be prudent to check everything out fully.

The arpeggiator bug has been fixed with OS 1.61 in the Cs6x. When you tried triggering it, it would be behind 1/32 of a note.

Rod

The Triton is definitely the best module out there, but the E-Mu X-Lead and Mo-Phatt are close runners up. There is also a tech module for the E-Mu called tech synth construction yard-haven't heard it, but people says its as good as the X-Lead. Korg also makes a tech module for the Triton, but can't remeber the name. The Korg modules run $200 and the E-Mu about $300.

The Triton also has a decent sampler built-in, so if you don't find a sound, you can create one from a sample.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

well, after checking out some synth last week. I think i will go for a CS6R..i find that synth has a lot of character. i think the Virus has a lot of balls also. I'm undecided between a Proteus2000 and XV 5080 for my all-purpose synth.

The funny thing is that, even though lots of people praise the Triton...i don't find it's such a big deal at all. Most of the sounds sound too hype, with too much highs, too much FX in general. The sampler seems like a complete waiste..you can't even proprerly play multi layered instrument. Of course, this is my personal opinion.

I totally agree with vudoo the Yamaha cs6r is the sh*t. I A-Bed it with the Triton,Proteus-2000 and the XL-1 and let me tell ya this box has character! I own a XV-5080 and love it so if i was going to buy today it would be Yamaha cs6r then maybe a triton.Also check out the Alesis Andromeda this box is killer but it comes at a premium price.

This message has been edited by J Fernandez on 03-29-2001 at 12:13 AM

Or you could check out an extremely popular synth in Europe: the Novation Supernova II. I'll bet that a lot of what you're trying to reproduce comes from that box.

Originally posted by vudoo:

Also, do you guys prefer dedicating a Performance presets to each song or always having the same performance preset and sends it program change, sys-ex...before each song starts. I assume using a predefine performance presets for each song is SAFER. thanks for your valuable inputs

Im a studio guy now, but when I used to play live a decade ago, I used the same performance preset over and over and sent program changes to it via sys-ex. This was with a Roland MC-500 MK II sequencer and a Korg M1 keyboard. This method with this gear ALWAYS worked flawlessly.

This message has been edited by soapbox on 03-29-2001 at 03:19 AM

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived