Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What synths did they use making hits like those of

Dag

I'd like to find out what fine sounding synths, drums and sound gear did famous producers/arrangers (Frank, Evans, Struken...) use making hits for Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys etc.

I'm in this industry over 10 years, but I still cannot find out what gear to buy to obtain first class synth/drum sound. Instead of one quality sound, I am forced to fill songs with several less-quality sounds with all downsides of doing this.

Second, pls. honest advice: can best soft synths match hi quality of analog counterparts like JP8000? If yes, what names are worth to consider?

P.S. I live in Europe

thanks for your contribution in advance

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They use common synths, just like the rest of us - Roland, Waldorf, Kurzweil, etc. etc. - It's how they're layered, programmed and effected that makes them sound so good - not to mention the actual recording technique (good consoles, proper gain structure, etc...).

As for soft synths - I believe there are several that sound just as good, if not better than, any synth available today. Anything from Native Instruments (Reaktor, Pro52, b4), the Emagic ES1, Reason (from Propellerheads), the TC Works Mercury, etc.

THere was a recent issue of Keyboard that had a feature on Kevin Antunes, who's been the keyboardist and M.D. for both N'Sync and Britney Spears. I believe his touring rig included a Triton, Roland JP-8000, Yamaha EX-5, and a Novation SuperNova. He also has a travelling project studio, a G3/Digital Performer rig that follows him around to hotel rooms.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Forgot to add that the JP-8000 is not an analog synth, but a virtual simulation. I'm not fond of that particular board, I think many of the other VA's sound better. I had the opp to try an Andromeda recently and have to say it outshines all the hardware VA's I've heard, but the good softsynths (NI Reaktor etc) come closer.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

The JP-8000 is capable of very good sounds, and if you explore the factory Programs, you'll find a number of them. If the factory Performances that suck. They're designed for the show room rather than the stage or studio. Try PROGRAM mode before you dismiss the board entirely. I like the JP-8000 better than other VA's; FAR better than Nord, which I LOATHE.

Don't estimate the value of effects on a recorded synth sound. Effects - not the minimal onboard variety - make a HUGE difference. TC Electronic offers a demo disk for the FireworX processor that will blow you away.

Dag,

The softsynth question deserves its own thread, although it would probably go on forever and never reach a conclusion. If you want to hear a softsynth that's better than the hardware VA synths, try Absynth. It's Mac only, & while it's soon to be distributed by Native Instruments, it is not their code: it's the fact that the software blew them away that is impressive. If something impresses the designers of the widely popular Reaktor, it's got to be good.

For the instruments used on the hits, check the Archives section of www.keyboardmag.com . You'll find a pair of Madonna articles and the aforementioned N'Sync article for which I'm dropping a link below. This article is impressive because Antunes not only was performing on the road with N'Sync, but was also recording new tracks for Britney Spears in his custom road rack case, complete with computer and Tascam DA98.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/features/nsynctour/index.shtml

Without a doubt, the standards for all pop tunes come from a handful of main instruments. The King of these is the Akai MPC series, with various artists clinging either to the 60, 3000, or 2000. Next in line would have to be a sampler: usually either an Akai (S-5/6000 or S3000 series) or a Roland (S-760), but sometimes also an Emu E4. Most artists own a Roland JV1080 or 2080. Now most have a Triton as well. Throw in a VA synth of your choosing, usually dictated by the genre (Virus & Nord for more aggressive, Roland/Korg/Novation for pop).

At this point in music technology, however, it really doesn't do you any good to go out and buy the same equipment as some said producer that you idealize, mostly because what he might do with that machine will probably not be what it's actually made for, but some tiny little quirk or something. You're better off evaluating your own needs and getting an instrument that is as flexible and helpful for you as possible.

Just as an example, the Proteus 2000 series hasn't shown up in much of the "on tour" racks in Keyboard lately.. but it's extremely powerful and flexible and could really be put to great use, especially give the amount of Roms available for it now.

Archived