Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland XV 5080: arpeggiator needed?

I've read the 5080 lacks an arpeggiator. If so, will an arpeggiator on a controller keyboard do the same thing a built in one?

(From an obvious newbie).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFAIK the XV-5080 has an arpeggiater..... I KNOW that the XV-88 does, and I'm pretty sure the XV-3080 does too. It's hard to imagine that the 5080 doesn't...... but to answer your question, yes it should do the same thing (again, af far as I know) I'm not exactly sure, but it should work just fine. Again though, check out some REAL specs (Roland's site, www.rolandus.com) I'm about 99.99999999999% sure it has an arpeggiater.

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Originally posted by Jim S:

If so, will an arpeggiator on a controller keyboard do the same thing a built in one?

B]

Jim:

Yes.

I am pretty sure (90%) the 5080 does not have an arppegiator. I base this on the information at 5080land.com and rolandus.com. Also, recall that Roland typically bundles arps into keyboards (XP60, XP80, XP30) but not modules (JV2080, JV1080).

That said, let me throw the question back at you. You say elsewhere:

"I compose rock, funk, metal, mood, jazz tunes and record to CD at home."

It would appear that the arppegiator is going to be primarily useful outside your idiom, or as a "accompaniment starter" for a song. You will likely get better results looking for something in software (band-in a box, or uggh.....a midi sequencer) as the range or accompaniment options is very great, relative to a Roland rompler's arppegiator. ( I have played both.)

On choice of synth. I use Rolands all the time. I think you would like a 5080 with a controller, but I would also pay a good hard look at the Kurzweil deal. As far as sample+synthesis devices go, the K's are probably the warmest. They'll take you furthest without having to process or eq the things you play because they sound tinny. I play with a guy who uses Kurzweil's all the time. They sit very well in a mix.

Just an observation.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Jerry,

But stuff like Kurzweil can be more expensive the Roland, no? I've heard Kurzweil sound quality is great but you do pay for it. Such is life.

Jim

K's are more expensive at the same aggregate-feature level, but let's talk to apples to apples. ($)

$2000 buys you a K2500 sampler/keyboard.. or a XV5080 sampler player/synth.

With the K will need to spend on the KDFX, or plug-ins. (You may already have plug-ins, though). With the R, you will need a controller.

With the K, you will have less sounds off the bat, but (I believe) you will spend less time trying to fix the mix with eq. It's a question of which problems you would rather have.

Either way, you will have a professional quality synth capability that others would give their eyeteeth for.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

I have a Digi001 on a Mac with CD-R/DVD-R with IDE cards except a narrow SCSI to export samples from CDs. I have Digi's Sample Cell II and a couple of RTAS/AS plug-ins. Hmmm...

Archived