Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Design & R2D2

Tusker

I was watching a bit of Star Wars (the original movie) today, and it struck me how original, unique and emotionally convincing the sound effects were... especially R2D2's groans, gurgles and bleeps.

Anyone got an idea what they were done on?

Also how they were done?

Some of them are just sine waves (resonant filters?) being pitch modulated, but some of those sounds do seem pretty complex. Any ideas?

This reminded of some Emo stuff from the early 70's as well as a "space music" cd I used to have. Anybody do this kind of sound design any more?

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

This message has been edited by Tusker on 03-10-2001 at 07:34 PM

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's funny.. I've never thought they were that original sounding. It all sounds like Classic Studio stuff to me.. listen to some Stockhausen and some early Milton Babbitt and you'll get the idea. But if I were to say it's all Modular Synthesis I'd not be helping since I don't really know how to use Modulars that well. My guess is that it's mostly FM and ring mod'd stuff to make it have that metallic quality, and there's probably a fair amount of Sample&Hold to make it sound randomized.

But you're right that it has an amazing yet subtle vocal quality to it.. that's how it's believable and not just blips and farts.

Anyways for all the new Star Wars sound design, they're using Kyma almost exclusively.

My guess is that it's mostly FM ...

FM? in 1977? (release yr for Star Wars) If I remember correctly although John Chowning started working with FM in 1975, the 1st commercial products didn't come up till the early 80's.

My money is on the ARP. (which mades its way into close encounters)

Rod

Archived