Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone familiar with the Yamaha CS01?

SteveMPA

I've become slightly obsessed with this little guy since I saw it on vintagesynth. Yamaha's last analog, early 80's, monophonic, runs on batteries, with a little speaker, mini keys, tiny and toy-like, the mkII versions had a 24dB filter(!), loaded with sliders. Does anyone have one and like it? If so, my search for one will only intensify! I've heard of people finding them dirt cheap at pawn shops and such, cause they look much like every other old portasound, but an entirely different beast inside. Thanks for any enlightenment!

-l

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using a CS-01 II since 1981. I was in a wedding band back then and we played continuous music. When the main course came out, we table strolled. I play keys, so I ran the CS-01 through a Pignose and played bass lines. I still use it to demonstrate basic synthesis to my elementary music classes, and the size and portability allow the children to get hands on without being intimidated by a bulky box. For the record, I still run it through the Pignose, but I wish I owned Everready battery stock, since these suckers eat AA's at a good clip http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif.

All the analog synth basics are there: VCO with 4'to 32' octaves plus wind noise,4 waveforms and pulse width modulation ( with a speed slider ),VCF that will self-ocillate by raising the resonance slide, VCA depth slide, and an ADSR envelope. A 2 1/2 octave mini-keyboard, pitch and mod wheels ( pitch up only ), and controls for a breath controller ( never had one ) rounds it out. 1/4" mono out, 1/4" headphone out, and a 9V input with a cheezy on board speaker make ya gotta love this thing! JK.

P.S. I stuck it on my flatbed scanner and have a JPEG of 2/3's of it, but I can't figure out how to attach the pic.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot for the replies. Indeed, my kids love playing my cz-101, and the cs-01 would be even better for learning the basics. Darn it, that product lust! I want one, and I can't find one anywhere. Should anyone have one or know of one for sale, please drop me an email: smotter@earthlink.net

Much obliged!

Archived