Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best el-cheapo keyboard?

fet

I'm always tempted by the low-end plastic Casio and Yamaha keyboards they sell at Target, Best Buy, Musician's Friend, etc. for $99 to $200. I am guessing they have sounds and features that would be tough to find, or very expensive, 5 to 10 years ago.

Question to the pro players, synthesists, etc. What's the best of the extremely cheap keyboards, as far as sound quality goes?

Thanks to all who respond.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple question, Simple answer: Roland EM-10. It's only $170, has over 200 sounds, and the piano sounds really nice. The keyboard is velocity sensitive and sounds are all top quality. It has built in speakers that sound good, and even has some backing track functions. It's put together well and has a sleek look, no bulging chaotic metal pieces like the Casios and no whirlwind of color coded buttons all over like the Yamaha PSR's.

Feel free to email me and I'll help with the rest of your buying process.

I have written some of my best music on a cheapo 32-key YAMAHA voice sampler that my brother gave to me as birthday present back in the late 70's/early 80's. It does basically nothing - no midi - but it's never broken and if you are remotely creative, you can write entire rock anthems beginning to end. The arpeggios are cheesy and if you want a drum track, you have to sample something. I bet he only paid $50 -$100 for this thing. Nowadays, the minimoog is worshipped in one corner, a Roland G-100 in the other, with custom hand-built piano in-between, and a couple Korg MS2000 for the road. HOWEVER, I still take the stupid YAMAHA toy on the plane because it runs on batteries, has a headphone jack, and I can even plug it into a tape recorder for storing things permamently. What a deal. Get whatever you can - even check out the local pawn shops. If you have talent, you don't need the latest & greatest. Hell, Beethoven wrote entire symphonies on a PIANO. What did Bach use? A harpsichord and a church organ???

Archived