Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adaptec2940UW/Barracuda Config. Question

I don't know if you can help me with this one but here goes anyway.

I have a 7200 RPM Barracuda drive connected to an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card via a 68 pin cable enabling "Ultrawide" 16 bit transfer of data.

Why does my SCSI Probe 5.2 tell me that my Barracuda Drive's speed is "Narrow?!" and "Asynchronous?" It should be wide and asynchronous, no ?

The people from Adaptec were imposssible to reach in anyway! The person

from Seagate emailed me that I had to be sure "wide negotiation was enabled"... and that "the drive can be forced into this mode by the SCSI controller." I have no such option (that I know of) with my SCSI Probe 5.2

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a very early version of the 2940. When I turn my computer on, right after the memory check, all of my SCSI devices are listed on the screen. I have the ability to configure the SCSI controller by pressing "CTRL A".

Hope this helps,

Mike Martin

Kurzweil Music Systems

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hi Mike :

I tried "control-A." No luck. In fact, nothing at all happens on re-start.

Thanks for your help any way.

I talked with the tech-support people at Sky-Data and he was also unable to explain the "Narrow" status of that drive so I have to bring it in for testing. Gee. What fun.

P.S. Are you sure it was "control-A?"

Thanks agin

I'm positive that it is Control A. With my early 2940 which doesn't auto detect termination, I have to go into the SCSI bios each time I change my device configuration. Good luck.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived