Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Synth...?

tyde

Hi,

I'm a piano player, looking to get into the world of MIDI. I have a good computer with various music software programs, including Cakewalk 6. I want to buy a keyboard -- one that's of good quality, but not too expensive. I also want one that will last awhile, longer than 2 years. Are there any synthesizers that you would recommend?

I've been looking/asking around, and people have mentioned the Alesis QS 6.1, and some that piqued my interest were the Roland XP-10 and XP-30.

Suggestions, comments?

Thanks...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest the Studiologic Fatar SL - 880(it has 88 hammer action heavy weighted keys)since you are a piano player, and the Emu Proteus 2000 synth module(which can be a beast if it'll be fully expanded) or another rack synth. This option may be more expensive but it would be a perfect start. Alternatively, you could buy a cheaper midi keyboard and a rack synthesizer.

Hope I helped.

Definetly not the xp10, IMO. it is a dressed up sound canvas , and pretty poorly dressed up at that. Although it shares the name with the other xp synths, it's genetics are very different.

The xp30 would be better. However note the 61 key synth action keyboard. If you play pianistically, it will be an adjustment and likely a disappointment.

I like mr. sexton's idea, particularly if you don't plan to gig frequently. If you are drawn to Roland XP sounds, the JV1010 is a steal as a module.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Thanks for the tip, guys. But even though I play piano, I'm not really looking for realistic feel. Although it would be nice, it's probably more than what I hope to spend.

I need something that will help me compose in MIDI, with good samples, sounds, etc. Nothing cheesy-sounding. But I'll check out the boards you guys mentioned...

By the way, what's a rack synthesizer?

the JV1010 is a steal as a module.

Originally posted by tyde:

By the way, what's a rack synthesizer?

Since the advent of midi, it has been possible to separate the keyboard from the guts of the synthesizers (tone modules). This way people can have more choices. Also, if you had a keyboard for everything it would take a lot of space. Typically the expression 'rack synthesizer' is used for a module version of a synthesizer, with rack ears for mounting in a music rack (you don't HAVE to mount it). For example, the JV1010 is kinda like (though not exactly) a module version of the XP30.

Thanks for the tip, guys. But even though I play piano, I'm not really looking for realistic feel. Although it would be nice, it's probably more than what I hope to spend.

I am gathering that you are willing to trade keyboard performance and comfort for sound quality. It will help if you told us roughly how much or little you habe considered budgeting on the synth. ($400? $1000? more?) What styles of music do you plan to develop? (i.e. trance, orchestral, R&B, etc.).

Cheers,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Tusker on 03-07-2001 at 12:12 PM

My budget range: $400-$800. But if there's a good board (or board and module) out there for $1000, and I'd know that I'd be getting my money's worth...then, I wouldn't mind spending a grand.

The kind of music I primarily want to do is orchestral -- stuff you hear in film scores. But I also want the flexibility and ability to do other types of music, like techno, or being able to lay a bass line or drum track to vocals, etc.

Wait a minute... just had a thought... I have an old Yamaha keyboard... It only has an AUX/Out headphone plug -- am I able to hook up a module to this old board? That would save a lot of money!

This message has been edited by tyde on 03-07-2001 at 02:24 PM

My budget range: $400-$800. But if there's a good board (or board and module) out there for $1000, and I'd know that I'd be getting my money's worth...then, I wouldn't mind spending a grand.

The kind of music I primarily want to do is orchestral -- stuff you hear in film scores. But I also want the flexibility and ability to do other types of music, like techno, or being able to lay a bass line or drum track to vocals, etc.

Wait a minute... just had a thought... I have an old Yamaha keyboard... It only has an AUX/Out headphone plug -- am I able to hook up a module to this old board? That would save a lot of money!

If you're going to go for the qs6.1 budget in the orchestral sounds q-card (about $100 these days), since the stocks sounds aren't really that great in that area. I've heard the card is excellent though. Unfortunately most vendors don't have open cards at stores to check out. I bought a vintage synths card blindly, but am really happy with it.

I think the yamaha s30 is going for < 1000 these days. It will serve you much better for techno stuff, and it's a good all around synth.

I'm against recommending a module/controller to someone new. I think you're better off buying the whole package, but get a synth with a good controller implementation (which the s30 and qs6.1 are pretty good) and add modules later.

And ditto on the xp series. Don't get the xp10, spend the extra money on the 30. Also, since these synths are getting a bit old I wouldn't be surprised if stores start having special deals (I remember hearing about a $ 100 rebate from roland??) About the jv1010, it's a steal, as long as you can put with the practically non-existant user interface. Experienced synth users have no problem with it but I've seen many new users being flabbergasted by it.

Regarding the yamaha you have, if you don't have a midi out you're out of luck, which doesn't look like you do. The keyboard send the information out thru the MIDI OUT port, and the module receives it thru the MIDI IN.

Rod

I'd lean toward the xp30 also. I think it is worth the stretch (hey it's easier to spend it, since it's not my money) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

But seriously. It has the orchestral card in there. That soundset was responsible for quite a lot of film work in the 90's.

You'll be able to cover most things. The synth architecture is excellent.

If you do get it, just make sure you listen to the unit critically... for the following:

Some have said they hear trailing hiss (at the end of a sample, like when you play a piano note and hold it till it disappears). Others can't hear it. I use an xp30 in the church band, and I can't hear it. (course I didn't sample a note and listen to the decay at high volume).

All synths have hiss. The reason some people observed the hiss (I think) is that the earlier versions of the JV series (JV1080 for example) had lower quality D/A convertors so you didn't have the clarity to hear the traling hiss. The XP30 brings that out a little bit,which disappointed JV1080 users. Basically this happens when the sound dies out, because there are insufficent bits to the sound, and so some white noise creeps in as the sound trails out.

You may not be able to hear it. But the criticism is out there, and I thought I would pass it on.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Hi,

I'm a piano player, looking to get into the world of MIDI. I have a good computer with various music software programs, including Cakewalk 6. I want to buy a keyboard -- one that's of good quality, but not too expensive. I also want one that will last awhile, longer than 2 years. Are there any synthesizers that you would recommend?

I've been looking/asking around, and people have mentioned the Alesis QS 6.1, and some that piqued my interest were the Roland XP-10 and XP-30.

Suggestions, comments?

Thanks...

Keep in mind the Fatar (if I am correct???) has no onboard sound of its own and is strictly a midi controller...hence it requires some kind of synthesis product..ie sound module or software based synthesis in order to generate sounds. Hope this helps...

Mike

Thanks, everyone, for their input! I'll be heading over to Guitar Center today just to take another look. I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing today...but who knows...it's so tempting! My eyes are on the Alesis QS6.1 and the Roland RS-5. Both are about the same price. But if the Roland XP-30 really proves to be a better buy, I might shell out the extra cash.

Thanks again!

the xp-30 sounds much more pro than than the QS.

about the fade out hiss sound of the XPs.. It's in my synth also.. You can hear it on certain patches more than others.. look for a patch with a long reverb (i think) and than as the sound fades out, turn the volume all the way up, and you should/might hear some fuzzy sound as the tail of the sound dies away.

For me it is not a problem, as soon as you use the sounds in a mix, it is way to quiet to hear at all... and also remember all the pro's who have been using these instruments for so long, obviosuly they havent heard the sound or hasn't thought it was a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on hear-say about the Roland interface and instruction manuals, they leave a tremendous amount to be desired for a newbie. Would they be ideal for one's first MIDI adventures? There are PDF downloads at the Roland site and elsewhere but....

While a controller with a module may be a bit more complicated than an integrated board, the manuals for the Emu modules are supposedly excellent. Comments?

Archived