Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie questions-please advise

Alicia4065

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting my 1st. keyboard. I'm choosing between Yamaha PSRGX76 or Casio WK1630 Guitar Center is running a special this month.

Then I came across the Roland RS5, Yamaha S03(new) and Kurzweil SP88.

I haven't decided what type of music I will eventually play in the long run but was looking for something to get me from the beginner level to the next level then I can save while I'm learning. Once I get a keyboard I'm planning on taking lessons. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance Alicia

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have three answers.

1. If you are as new as I think you are, it might be a good idea to look for something as cheap as possible. Look for a decent second hand keyboard.

With that you can start and see if this is something for you.

If you lose interest you won't lose so much money.

2. If you buy a cheap keyboard, it might be possible that you lose interest easier.

3. If you take lessons, look for a keyboard with 88 weighted keys. With that you'll have the same "feel" as real piano.

Is this any help at all???

------------------

--Smedis,--

I have three answers.

2. If you buy a cheap keyboard, it might be possible that you lose interest easier.

3. If you take lessons, look for a keyboard with 88 weighted keys. With that you'll have the same "feel" as real piano.

I'll strongly second these last 2 points. I've seen so many people loose interest in playing due to starting with cheap keyboards. Plus the action on some of these is so bad you'll have a hard time developing good technique.

I think learning to play piano is the best way to start, and most teachers will require that you practice in a weigthed keyboard piano style.

It really depends on what you want; but looking long term this is my suggestion.

Hope this helps,

Rod

Thanks, rsaboiasilva

Is anyone reading what I posted, I have some of the keyboards listed that I would be interested in. I can't get a real piano because I live in an apartment right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alicia

Yes, I highly recommend getting a weighted action. That's where the sweetness comes out and much of the joy in playing. You'll learn just how expressive your slightest movement can be. It's a powerful feeling!

Also check out Yamaha's Clavinova series and Technics. But even short of buying anything, consider also a piano rental (the acoustic kind -- wood and strings and glue). I wouldn't worry TOO much about volume; you probably won't play any louder than you do your stereo now. Just be mindful of how late you play.

If you go the acoustic route, I would avoid spinets. I know they are quieter, but the action is...odd.

Whatever you decide, get a teacher, too. And if you've started with one but find yourself dreading the next lesson, find another! They're all different.

Oh yeah, among the choices you mentioned, I like the Yamaha piano sounds best.

Don't rush! GC will have another sale; they always do. Pick an instrument with a good piano sound. If you are unsure what that sounds like, get a classical CD with piano solos on it, preferably with songs you like and recognize. Listen to it over and over. You'll soon know what a good piano sounds like. Listening to the same songs will help you focus on the piano sound, not so much the music.

good advice you're getting here. my two pennies: i used to do a lot of teaching back in the day (before i got religion on feeding my family and getting work that paid real benefits, blah blah blah)

so anyway, was very leary about students with cheap keyboards trying to learn their way around the instrument and get a handle on how to make music. upshot is get something you can grow into, that sustains your interest and that does for good players what you want to be able to do after you've been at it awhile. bottom line: get something you simply can't walk by without wanting to play it. if it sits there, you'll waste whatever you spend. better to spend enough to inspire yourself. how to do this? talk to a teacher, rather than a salesperson, and set your goals first. then buy the instrument on that basis. come back here, we love to give advice.

and practice every single dagnab day. even if it's only for twenty minutes. plus set aside a couple hours on a saturday, or whatver, and a couple of years from now, you'll be giving me advice. best.

I would definately agree with getting an 88 key weighted keyboard to learn on. I made the mistake of spending some pretty serious cash on a 61 key synth with a non weighted synth action key bed to learn on, not my best decision in the world. I really like it, has great sounds and is wonderfull for some things but learning the piano is not really one of them. I am now trying to save up to get a good 88 key weighted controller and a good sound module. I coulda had that with what I spent on synth. OOPS, Lesson learned.

Oh well, atleast I've got a good synth now but I would have been better off with a weighted 88 key controller/sound module or digital piano. You probably will too.

My .02

Archived