Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice buying Lead analog synth

SolipsismX

okay let's be quick, i'm buying a lead synth, I need advice, heere's what to consider when giving me advice (if you will please do)

1. Money is not a HUGE deal but it is important. If everybody tells me to buy the Waldorf Q cause it's the the most expensive for a very good reason (like a k2600XS) I'll buy it. But if I can get something similarly close (or better) and save a thousand dollars that'd be nice.

2. I own a loaded 2500XS so I don't need synth brass or strings or any of that kinda "real" sounding stuff.

3. Polyphany and sequencing aren't HUGE deals. I use pro tools and I sequence and give every instrument its own track in there. I won't really need a huge load of voices played at once, just voices that can evolve and don't sound too cheesy.

4. This might be used live, but I'm not thinking about that... just think studio keyboard

5. I want something with a pretty fast learning curve. If I had the time to get really deep into it, i'd just buy a Nord Modular and we'd all be happy.

6. I play NINish kinda stuff , not traditional rock or techno

7. Keyboards I'm looking at are the supernova, waldorf q and the nord lead 3 (i liked the nord lead 2 a lot and I have hope for the 3). What do you think about these?

Anyway response would be nice. thanks for your time

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Waldorf Q and it's too bad the keyboard version is kind of expensive. The presets aren't very good for me. They're too geared towards techno but is capable of some amazing, bold sounds. I spent half an hour in the store programming some sounds and I was suprised at what I was coming up with. I'm waiting for the Micro Q to come out before I buy one. I may just buy the Q Rack. It doesn't sound very "analog" but it has a sound of it's own.

The Korg MS2000 is a good lead synth. It looks pretty easy to program and it's priced really well. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is that I think Korg will come out with a version with more polyphony. It sounds like a real analog synth too me.

I haven't played the Nord 3 yet.

"Money is not a HUGE deal but it is important. If everybody tells me to buy the Waldorf Q cause it's the the most expensive for a very good reason (like a k2600XS) I'll buy it. But if I can get something similarly close (or better) and save a thousand dollars that'd be nice."

That being the case, have you played (and heard) an Andromeda???

"Polyphony and sequencing aren't HUGE deals. I use pro tools and I sequence and give every instrument its own track in there. I won't really need a huge load of voices played at once, just voices that can evolve and don't sound too cheesy."

...and with it's two real analog filters, and 3 SEVEN stage envelopes (each stage w/9 possible curves), analog distortion, digital FX, and more, I'd say you can get sounds that will evolve, revolve, and ultimately solve all your sonic wants and needs.

steadyb

Originally posted by SolipsismX:

I play NINish kinda stuff , not traditional rock or techno. Keyboards I'm looking at are the supernova, waldorf q and the nord lead 3

Anyway response would be nice. thanks for your time

Personally, I think they are all fine synths. You are probably aware of the extent to which NIN uses the nords. Not comfortable making recommendations, but based on your style of music, I would lean toward the q and the nord, just because the supernova is possibly the most polite of the three (before efx). However, I think you need to try out the Access Virus kb and the Andromeda to protect yourself from buyer's regret.

The virus has a number of overdrive behaviors modelled in at stages in the architecture, and the Andromeda is easily comparable to the greatest real-analog polysynths. If you had more time, I would also include the Big Briar performance synth which is currently scheduled for release this year (mid-year?). However people who counted on it coming out on schedule last year were disappointed.

The trouble with some of these synths is availability and access (pardon the pun) of course.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Being one of Andromeda's daddies, I am admittedly not completely objective...but, if you're thinking of springing for a Q, why not get the Real Thing? After all, Virtual Analog is just a nice way of saying digital.... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Go and play with Andy...she's a good time...not to mention being the most powerful polyphonic analog synth ever. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

However, my advice here is the same as it is on any musical instrument...go try a bunch of 'em. Trust your instincts. You might find that something like a Virus B or a Nord does the job for you just fine, in which case you can save some $$$.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

If you can wait a bit (hopefully this summer) the new performance synth from Bob Moog looks like it's going to be an instant classic.

- Its expanded all-analog audio chain includes three oscillators with continuously-variable waveform, and dual Moog-style lowpass filters with voltage-controlled resonance.

- New control features include dual ADSR envelope generators, a dedicated voltage-controlled LFO, and two switchable modulation busses.

- A TACTEX® three-dimensional touch pad is positioned in the middle of the control panel, enabling you to impart multi-parameter expressive gestures simply by moving your fingers on the surface of the pad.

- Additional player interfaces include a high quality 44-note Minimoog-style keyboard with aftertouch, pitch and modulation wheels, and provisions for external pedal and breath controllers.

- Full MIDI implementation enables you to send control signals from the instruments player interfaces, receive and route multiple control signals, and edit and store complete panel settings.

- Open System architecture with loads of input and output jacks enables you to use regular patch cords to expand the instruments capabilities.

- Classic hardwood cabinet and Minimoog-style hinged panel provide quality appearance and musician-friendly functionality.

Archived