Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

leslie horn driver

My last jensen driver for the horn in my 122 leslie is showing signs of going south on me. I tried an altec driver and it was too shrill and clean. I am told the Jensen drivers are as extinct as dinosaur bones. Has anyone found anything that comes close to the old Jensens? jwk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spoke with Dave at Goff Professional last summer. He had replacement drivers for Leslies. I pretty sure they were Jenson. Funny I just tried their web site & it wouldn't come up. I haven't tried it in quite a while. Are they still in business? I hope so. I bought a XB-2 & a Xk-2 from him. Very pleased with the service. They want to do business!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I used to be able to get the diaphragm kit to rebuild the Jensen Driver.

Then, about 4-5- years ago I spent a lot of time trying to track down these replacements to no avail. I finally gave up.I'd rebuild these now , if someone has a lead to new diaphragms.

Thanks for the tips. Perhaps an EV will work. I didn't know they had one. The trouble with the better drivers and speakers is that they don't mask all the little tonal idiosyncrisies of a Hammond like the Jensen did. That is exactly why Don Leslie used them and why Laurens Hammond despised him for it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Hammond hated the Leslie so badly that he tried to buy the patent out so he could get rid of it. Thank you, up there, Don. Just imagine what life would be like today without the sound of a Hammond thru a Leslie. Surely there is a God. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by b3wiz@hotmail.com:

My last jensen driver for the horn in my 122 leslie is showing signs of going south on me. I tried an altec driver and it was too shrill and clean. I am told the Jensen drivers are as extinct as dinosaur bones. Has anyone found anything that comes close to the old Jensens? jwk

You could also try an Electro-Voice DH-1506 driver for the Leslie.I've used that model, and it is more round sounding and actually VERY clean sounding, but if you need distortion, why not just try increasing the overdrive on the keyboard you use?This driver gives out what is put in.They're heavier and larger, but I highly recommend them.If you can lug around a Leslie in the first place, or are using one in the studio, there is more user control attainable.

Archived