Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bitheadz Unity Player? I just want great sample playback

I've been looking around at hardware samplers, and although I was ready to spend maybe $2K, it was starting to look like I was getting stuff that didn't fit the need. What fits the need? I want to be able to access and play such sample CD-ROMs as the great Rhodes samples mentioned on this forum; and great string libraries, great brass, and all the best acoustic emulation available in sample form.

I'd been looking at modules, too. But, shoot... I have a Proteus, a JD-990 w/vintage synth board, a Nova, and others (some keys)... and since what I'd really like if I was to get a module, would be one that lets me import samples. Sure, it would me nice for the module to be a ROMpler with RAM that has the combination of ROM and RAM, but couldn't I actually get all that with just RAM?

Let's say I was going to get a Roland XV5080 or Kurzweil K2600R, both of which are really great. Well, although I might not have the ready ability to get to all the included ROM, and although each of those has their own filtering to play the samples THROUGH, will something like the Bitheadz Unity Player do that? For those of you that are familiar with the Unity DS-1, the Unity Player is the same thing but without the ability to sample. You just load in the CD-ROMs, setup its filtering and map it somewhat, and away you go. If the computer can hack it, you get 128 voive polyphony.

I have NO IDEA about this stuff other than what I read on their web site, but when I get real about what I need, it sounds pretty good.

My questions would be... is the latency and timing as good as hardware? Would a sample played back through the Unity Player sound as good as one played back through the K2600R or the AKAI S6000?

Hasn't anybody used or tried out the Unity Player or the full Unity sampler? Please advise.

This message has been edited by musicman1@ovation.net on 03-21-2001 at 06:36 AM

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived