Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the format for downloadable Kurzweil K2500/K2600 sounds?

Wiggum

Hey all,

I'm still debating whether to buy a Kurzweil K2600X, and I have been looking at the availability of free patches on-line.

I've found some real gems for my Korg Wavestation, and these are downloaded in a zipped, sys-ex format. What is the format for Kurzweil? I noticed the files have a .krz extension (or something similar), and I recall reading that the Kurz's 3.5" drive is MS-DOS compatible.

How do you get the files into the Kurz? Do you download the files to your PC, save them to a 3.5" and load them in, or is there way to transfer the data via MIDI or SCSI cable?

Have I missed something?

Wiggum

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tha Kurweil is a strange animal and a lot people shy away from it because of its power and rather large learning curve.

Most good programs for the Kurzweil will not fit on a floppy. And while the VAST technology is very powerful you need to have a good keymap to start with in order to effectively use the VAST to contour the program to whatever you like.

If the program has a krz. extension it will work in the Kurz. Although some programs are exclusive to certain models. IE if the program uses the KDFX of the 2500s and up you won't get the proper response the program was intended to perform.

My suggestion is to add additional sample ram. Max it out if you can. I have a K2000 with 32 megs and intend to max it to 64.

Also get a SCSI CDROM drive for your Kurz. This is the only decent way to load samples/programs into you board. And you may also get an internal hard drive.

Your Kurz will read Akai, Roland, and Ensoniq samples. There are also conversion prorams available that will convert some formats to krz.

The Kurzweil format is evidently very difficult to decipher as there are not a lot of converters out there but they are coming.

Also keep your board upgraded to the latest OS. The last OS version for the K2000 allows you to burn samples/programs to CD and then load them via your CD drive into the board. A VERY NICE FEATURE!!!

And unfortunately you cannot load samples via MIDI or from your computers hard drive.

The extensions of the files depend on the machine:

.krz for the k2000

.k25 for the k2500

.k26 ...

You can put the files on 3.5 disks, there are some progs that span large files over several disks.

The nicest feature: if you own a PC, you can connect the Kurz to it via SCSI. Now you can

a) put samples into the Kurz via SCSI

b) access an internal HD in the Kurz from within the PC.

b) is the way I do it - I simply copy the files to the internal HD of the Kurz (which is Fat16 DOS formatted). Then I can access them directly with the K.

Hope this helps

------------------

Marc

Is there any risk going with the SCSI HD route? I posted a question awhile back regarding sharing drives between computers and samplers, and the overall feeling was that SCSI didn't like two masters.

With the computer taking the driver's seat, is there any downfall to connecting the Kurzweil to my Adaptec card?

All the best,

Wiggum

Two Kurzweil may access the same disk at the same time.

But not a Kurz and Windows!

The Kurz will never access a disk if you don't ask him to do it. Windows always does silly things you never asked for http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif. To make sure that nothing goes wrong, mark the HD as "removable" in the device manager (I hope it is named so in the english windows versions). And don't play in the Kurz's disk dialog while the computer is accessing the disk.

Greetings

------------------

Marc

Archived