Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using keyboard amp for monitor??

stratman_dup1

Hey all, I've got a question for ya.

Recently a chance has come up for me to head a blues based power trio. I've got a good enough PA for the job but no monitors. As I'm going to be handling the vocals (Iguess we'll call em that http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ) I would like to get one but we won't be gigging a lot so I'm a bit hesitant to pay the cash for a regular powered monitor.

As well as being a guitar player I'm also a novice keyboard player and have been contemplating getting a dedicated keyboard amp for some time. Now, would it be realistic for me to get a keyboard amp and use it for a monitor at our infrequent gigs?? I've never owned one so I just don't know how one would work for this type of application. Only other thing running in mix, at times, will be a kick and overhead for the drums. And anybody sitting in to jam of course, I encourage that sort of thing http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . Would be great if that would work cause I could spend some money and get a really good keyboard amp instead of having to divvy up cash between monitor and keyboard amp.

What do ya think??

This message has been edited by Stratman on 02-23-2001 at 01:47 AM

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have an exact answer for your question.. nearly every powered amp can be used as a monitor if you wish, and keyboard amps are definitely better than guitar amps to be used as monitors. check out Keyboard's January Amplifier Round-up for info on all the various models. A Roland KC300 would probably do the trick.. it's a nice warm sounding 12 incher.

Here's another option, one that I favor since it's my setup: use a Fender Passport system. In case you're not familiar with it, it's a Stereo Amp/Speaker set that all clips together in a nice package. I am currently using the Passport 250 as my main keyboard amp, since it's stereo and has a flexible mixer built in and I can also use it for either PA or Monitoring applications. Its speakers are only 8 inches, but I like the sound of 'em. Anyway.. it was my last purchase before a quit my job and the music store... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

I was also just reading the Amp roundup in Keyboard's January issue: they said that you can often use a keyboard amp as a sort of reverse monitor: plug right into it and then use its line output to send to the PA. Nearly all keyboard amps have this, even the KC100 I think.

Originally posted by Steve44:

I was also just reading the Amp roundup in Keyboard's January issue: they said that you can often use a keyboard amp as a sort of reverse monitor: plug right into it and then use its line output to send to the PA. Nearly all keyboard amps have this, even the KC100 I think.

HMMM, Hadn't considered that. Sounds like a good idea to me. Another option a friend gave me is to buy a good monitor with a 15" woofer and seperate amp and use that for a keyboard amp. Got any ideas on which would be better??

Thanks for the input Steve.

Phil W.

Originally posted by Stratman:

Another option a friend gave me is to buy a good monitor with a 15" woofer and seperate amp and use that for a keyboard amp. Got any ideas on which would be better??

There's not really that clear of an advantage in going with separate components in this application - small and compact would be a much better way to go, I think. One of the Roland amps would do the job; however, I might suggest that you go the other direction and do what Steve does - use a powered PA speaker as a keyboard amp rather than using a keyboard amp as a vocal monitor. Something like a JBL EON G2 would be a lovely selection...

I have always preferred using PA speakers on my keyboards over combo amps.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived