Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best workstation for the $

dpetenice

Does anyone know of websites that review new workstations and rate them. I am interested in the best for your money rating. I would like the Korg Triton but i can't afford it. Where can I see what the best other workstations for about $1200-$1500 may be. any recommendations and info appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that many people make workstations these days. In the below $1500 range, I'd have to say that the odds are in favor of you ending up with a Roland XP60. I'm actually hard pressed to name another workstation in that price point...you might be able to find someone selling a Yamaha EX7 for under $1500, but the Roland would probably be a more popular choice.

I'm not sure if Korg still makes the N264/N364, but if they do, they'd fall in this price range as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The best workstation in the price range your looking at would be an Emu Esynth hands down. Flash Ram can be expanded from 2 to 16 mb( flash ram is whats used for preset and sequencer memory and its user assignable). Wanna write 20 songs and always have them ready and available to play instantly it does it as long as your using the sounds from the two rom cards. Up to 128MB of sample Ram and 32 MB of unboard sample Rom. Best onboard sequencer/editing software on the market, 8 outs, and internal hard drive. I purchased my unit maxxed out on ebay for $1300.

Originally posted by callen@gowanco.com:

The best workstation in the price range your looking at would be an Emu Esynth hands down.

snip

I purchased my unit maxxed out on ebay for $1300.

Yeah, but...

You were lucky to find that price. The Esynth's list price is over $3500, if memory serves, and I think that it's even still a current product.

I've seen them new for less than $2500, mind you, but not under $1500. Of course, I could be wrong and they could be all over ebay...

Anyways, back to the main topic:

In the Pro-keyboard market, there is basically no current model workstation under $1500 other than the XP60. However, there are two other Roland models that fall under the "arranger" category, the EM-2000 and the G-1000 , both of which go for around $1300 (after severe price drops). Both models have a built in zip drive(!), the first one has a D-Beam, and the second has 76 keys. They are focused on one-man-band type applications, but they have the same excellent sounds as roland's pro gear.

Other new pro-level options:

You may be able to get an Ensoniq ZR-76 for under $1500 - the main price was recently dropped from $2100 to $1800 and I saw one on Ebay for $1399 being sold by a Guitar Center in Boston. That is an absolutely wonderful unit, something I've wanted for a long while, but haven't had the budget. Keyboard called it the cadillac for songwriters. It has several sequencing features that no other keyboard has, including the Idea Pad which is always recording, so that if you come up with a cool riff, it will send it instantly to the sequencer. It also has a drum machine section with variations and fills, that can be performed and sent to the sequencer quite easily, without having to worry about copying and pasting patterns like on a Triton.

Some places are still selling the Kurzweil K2VX (a fully loaded K2000) for around $1200, but that is rather old and the keybed is horrible. The K2500 series has dropped beneath $2000 because of the new K2600 pricing - you should be able to get a plain model K2500 for $1500, since Zzounds has the K2500S at $1900. The K2500 is an excellent workstation, capable of tons and tons of stuff I don't want to get into, but it also has the possibility of becoming a money pit - because there are so many different types of upgrades available, from effects to Sample CD's to ROM blocks.

Another option within pro-keyboards is to get a small controller keyboard and then use a Yamaha QY700 or a Roland MC80ex, both of which are excellent hardware sequencers with built in sounds and effects, but they go for about $1300, so by the time it comes together you're better off with an XP60 anyways (Plus I think Roland has a rebate going on it).

On the other hand, there are several options available in the "consumer" range of keyboards. The Casio MZ-2000 was recently reviewed in Keyboard and is a tremendous value at under $1,000 - it gives you tons of sounds, a drawbar organ mode, effects, and a sequencer, though it has a scant 40,000 notes. The upper end of Yamaha's PSR series also has a few good options, though I'm not that familiar with them. While they are cheaper looking instruments, they sound a lot better than they look. The Yamahas basically use the same soundset as the MU90 module, complete with effects and inputs that go through the effects.

And finally, there's the used market.. where the main models will be: Roland XP series or JV1000; Korg Triton, Trinity, and maybe O1/W; Ensoniq ZR-76, MR-76 or MR-61 (slightly older versions of the ZR with unweighted keys); the Emu Esynth (rather rare); Kurzweil K2500 or K2000 series; and the Yamaha Ex5/7.

And that wraps it up.. I think I've exhaused about all the info you can get on the issue http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Ack! I forgot something! (I guess I could go edit the other post so it looks like I'm perfect, but no.. not today)

The General Music Equinox!!! It is $1400 (61 key) and $1600 for the large one, and has really everything in it. It has gotten excellent reviews except that there's this strange taboo about General-Music gear, that it's cheap looking and that it's not up to the standards of other pro gear. While I have not heard this keyboard, I have heard many comments from people saying that GEM doesn't deserve this treatment, that they build really good synthesizers and they are definitely a great value - the Equinox gives you tons more than the XP60, including 8 sliders, Drawbar organ sounds, master controller functions, and Sample playback, as well as some sort of dance/groove mode. I think they changed their name to GEM to try to get rid of the "cheap" feel, but the fact that they're not distributed by Peavey kinda counteracts that.

Now I've definitely exhausted all the workstation possibilities.. (except the K5000W, but I won't go there.. and you shouldn't either.)

Originally posted by Steve44:

The General Music Equinox!!! It is $1400 (61 key) and $1600 for the large one, and has really everything in it. It has gotten excellent reviews except that there's this strange taboo about General-Music gear, that it's cheap looking and that it's not up to the standards of other pro gear.

Good call, Steve...I had forgotten the Equinox.

As I have said in other posts, I am of the opinion that General Music makes excellent gear, but they suffer from having a bland-sounding generic name, and I think it turns people off..kinda sounds like General Electric, doesn't it? One thing is for sure - if you look at the Equinox's specs, they're pretty amazing...nothing quite like it for the $$$.

I am firmly convinced that if they would just change their name...

dB

depen,

That auction on the Esynth/keys(rare as they call it) will be closing on the 25th of Febuaury, but it doesnt look like anyones bidding on it. I know the guy personally, he been trying to sell it since Dec, cause he needs the money really bad. I have his email address if you decide that your interested at a later date.

Hi Dave, just a quick pick-nits...

I think General Music has made a really good synth with the Equinox, and they are played all over Europe. The only reason I bought an XP-80 instead of an Equinox 76 as my main live controller is, the XP-80 is lighter (my back went really bad lately); the Equinox outperforms the Roland in most other respects.

I don't work for GeneralMusic, nor I feel compelled to defend them because I'm from Italy: The only reason for this post is, I feel strange seeing a good instrument being critiqued for such a silly reason as its name. Sure, I had my bit of fun with the thread about the worst names on keyboards, but what could be LESS important when it comes to a buying decision? Just to point this out.

marino

Mmm, no spell check again... hope it's readable.

Originally posted by marino:

The only reason for this post is, I feel strange seeing a good instrument being critiqued for such a silly reason as its name. Sure, I had my bit of fun with the thread about the worst names on keyboards, but what could be LESS important when it comes to a buying decision? Just to point this out.

It's an American thing. Really...

To many of us, the use of the word general tends to mean a catch-all average sort of thing (when it doesn't indicate the highest rank in the US Army, of course!). When general is used an as adjective, it usually implies that there's nothing specifically special. Here is an example: if I were to say - "You get the general idea", what I mean is that you basically understand what it is I am saying, even if the specifics are unclear.

I watched for years in music stores the reaction on people's faces when I suggested that they try the General Music keyboards...they would repeat the name enquiringly...almost as if they were tasting it and not really being impressed. Even when I would get people to try one, almost no one would buy them...and it certainly isn't the quality of the construction or soundset of the unit, nor was it the specs that turned them off. As you and others have observed, the General Music stuff kicks the teeth out of most synths in its price range in the spec wars.

I know that this may sound silly to you, but as I said in one of the other threads, I FIRMLY believe that a good name is extremely helpful a product/business, and a bad one is equally harmful. General Music is not a bad name, I believe that it is a bland, boring name - at least in US speak. People who are spending that kind of money on something do not necessarily want something with a bland name...at least, it has been my observation that the peculiar Americans don't...

Also, some things just don't translate well..there is an infamous story about how Chevrolet thought that Nova was a great name for a car...until they tried to sell it in Mexico, where they found that No Va means Doesn't Go.

These are just my observations - i am in no way trying to say that this is a fact, and this is just the way it is. I do believe that it is the case, though...how do you account for the fact that they sell so well in Europe (which I am quite aware is the case), but very poorly in the US?

dB

My Bad.

There's now 3 E-Synths out there. The only one that came up in the search when I looked was in GBP.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Depetenice,

I lost his email address but here is the next best thing, the link to the add!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1411206218

If you have registered with ebay just D-click on the sellers name and ebay will allow you to send him a message, just tell him your interested and leave your email address. Don't offer him more than $1300.00 initially and let him work you up from there.

Archived