Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

has anyone tried the Yamaha cs6x ???

vudoo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using the CS6x for about three months now. It's a piece of gear that it really has plenty of potential. It does a little bit of everything and it does it very well. I am not extremely satisfied by its sound, since it's not so fat and the filters are a little "thin?". In your case and If I were you, since you already have the Triton and the Virus, I would search for something with more authentic and fat sound that could really make the difference.Note also that I also the Virus Indigo, which since I bought it, I use the CS6x, only for its pianos, brasses and some weird sounds it has. The Indigo is absolutely a thrill.

But in the end your ears will be the judge. Go and listen to it.

I hope I helped.

Originally posted by Mr Sexton:

I'm using the CS6x for about three months now. It's a piece of gear that it really has plenty of potential. It does a little bit of everything and it does it very well. I am not extremely satisfied by its sound, since it's not so fat and the filters are a little "thin?".

I just wanted to provide an alternate opinion, since I find the sound of the CS6x very pleasing, and in fact, very fat and warm sounding. It has some of the nicest electric piano sounds I've heard. The onboard acoustic piano sounds are pretty good but not great, but it accepts two 16MB expansion boards, one of which is the PLG150PF, which gives really good piano sounds, and even more good el.pno sounds.

I also added a PLG150AN card, which is the AN1x on a card, which as you probably know is Yamaha's physically modelled analog synth, modelled on the Prophet 5.

With these two cards, it has a lot of bases covered. It feels and looks like a quality peice of gear. I bought it to be a 'do-it-all' piece for live performing. I think if you already own a Triton rack and Virus, this would be a good complement to those.

The only drawback is that editing of the plug-in boards is not very user-friendly, since there are these various layers of interface. But that's not an insurmountable problem.

Before the CS6x, I had a Triton, which I was hoping would be a really good performance instrument, and although it sounds good and has a lot of potential, I think the designers didn't do a good job of designing it with live performance in mind. The Triton is ok as a writing or studio tool.

So I'm getting a Triton rack instead, and I'm hoping the CS6x will be the live tool I'm looking for.

Mr.Sexton....could you give me some suggestion as to what ( more warm and fat ) synth you would recommand ???

I also tried the S80 wich i beleive is similar to the CS6x and ince i don't have an 88 keys, that could be another option. Man, so many choices !!!

Anyone elses have any suggestions ??? Thanks

Hi Vudoo...Since I don't know the price range of the synth, besides the CS6x, you could buy, I would suggest you to listen the Nord Lead series(2 & 3), the Waldorf Microwave XT and Q synth, and also the Supernovas. As long as for the 88 keys, you could buy a Fatar Sl - 880(I have one), and buy one of the synths I mentioned on their rack versions or the CS6r, and still the price would be a little higher than buying the keyboard itself(on most cases). Tell me also, what kind of music do you make.

See you!

Mr Sexton

I just wanted to provide an alternate opinion, since I find the sound of the CS6x very pleasing, and in fact, very fat and warm sounding. It has some of the nicest electric piano sounds I've heard. The onboard acoustic piano sounds are pretty good but not great, but it accepts two 16MB expansion boards, one of which is the PLG150PF, which gives really good piano sounds, and even more good el.pno sounds.

I also added a PLG150AN card, which is the AN1x on a card, which as you probably know is Yamaha's physically modelled analog synth, modelled on the Prophet 5.

With these two cards, it has a lot of bases covered. It feels and looks like a quality peice of gear. I bought it to be a 'do-it-all' piece for live performing. I think if you already own a Triton rack and Virus, this would be a good complement to those.

The only drawback is that editing of the plug-in boards is not very user-friendly, since there are these various layers of interface. But that's not an insurmountable problem.

[/b]

Hi guestuser. I really agree with your saying. I know the expanding posibilities of the CS6x, and that was a basic reason i bought it. And it's absolutely sure that it can give me warm and fat sound. But, due to my work, I need synths which its presets are already warm and fat, like my Indigo. I know that giving more time to my CS6x will amuse me, but since now I didn't have that time.

Many Thanx.

Mr Sexton

Originally posted by vudoo:

I'm looking to buy the Yamaha cs6x or cs6r. What do you guys all think of that beast ?? I own a Triton rack and Virus. thanks

vudoo

I've been reading the various posts in answer to your original query above, and I've not known how to put in my two cents because I don't know what kind of music you're doing or the type of sound(s) you are looking to get from the CS6 or CS6R. The CS6/R and the S80 are both ROM playback synths, whose only real difference lies in (1) the sound-sets (CS6 series leans a little more techno, S80 leans a little more pop - but they do share a substantial amount of ROM building blocks and maybe even patches), and (2) whether they have synth or weighted/piano keys or no keys at all - CS6, S80 & CS6R respectively). Both units, as has already been stated can be expanded with new synth types altogether, including analog modeling and physical acoustic modeling.

I've only been posting actively a few weeks here, but I find it very helpful. I imagine some posters already know what kind of music various people do, but I've not made the assimilation yet. Also, I'm hesitant to make any assumption on the type of music you do based on your current rig, because while MANY people who have something like, say, a Nova II, might be playing techno/dance (electronic music), OTHERS might well be using the same synth in a classic rock mode, and feeling like a very "Lucky Man". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm going out on a limb here, but I would say that, in general, the S80 is a great pop meat-and-potatoes synth, which acts as a Swiss Army knife for that realm. In that realm, I think the filters are plenty fat, warm, etc. I don't see any need of an ultra analog filter fatness in a pop synth realm, though. But if the AN1X's Prophet 5 model covers that base, you could get the expansion board for either the CS6 series or S80 (S30, too, by the way, which is an S80 with synth action keys - either 61 or 76... I don't recall). And again, if major fat and warm is the ticket, it sounds like you may be wanting analog/virtual analog for electronic music, and if you are not needing to add ROM-based sounds at all, another virtual analog or even analog (Alesis Andromeda, for one) synth might be the ticket.

Let me echo your well put sentiment about there being so many CHOICES!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I'd be glad to attempt to focus in on this a little more, but I'd need to know more about how you are wanting to use it. Meanwhile, I hope there's at least a little bit in here from which you might extrapolate some ideas. Good luck! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

hi guys and thank you all for the great post so far !!!

To answer your question, i basically need my synths to cover as wide a spectrum as possible.

The funny thing is i'm not even a keyboard player ( hihi ). I play drums and compose/produce/engineer for a living. My gigs range from tracking drums for various albums, writing orchestral scores for film, jingles and when i have time i work on my own project...wich touches many musical genre ( from house/techno, hardcore funk to jazz ).

I'm in the middle of revamping my whole studio. So far, i've upgraded my ProTools to the latest Mix+ model with LOTS of plug-ins, Avalon mic pre, Dyaudio monitors....i'm also setting up a NLE video and DVD authoring suite.

So right now, i'm checking out for some new keyboard/samplers/synth. I already own a Triton rack ( with keyboard/piano card ), Virus TDM, Gigastudio station dedicaded only to scoring orchestral stuff. My next purchase is a controller ( with or tithout sounds ). I've seriuosly considered the S80 or a Fatar SL-880 and the CS6R. Man, wich one should i get !!! Thanks

Archived