Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A second keyboard #2

DSGB21aol.com

Wassup Everyone,

Me and a friend are setting up a studio and we have chosen are main keyboard, but the studio is at his house and I need a Keyboard that will be descent stand alone workstation. I need an all around good synth that is affordable and a good second board. Good sounding drums are really important along with a sequencer. I'm really thinking about the Yahamaha EX-7. Let me Know if you have any Ideas around the same price range or just better, I woul appreciate it. The Music I do is Rap, R&B, and Pop.

I am an aspiring musician and producer, but I been focusing on rap beats for the last year and a half, thats why I need good drum sounds.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Get a master controller or two, a piano keybed and a organ keybed, then stick modules in a rack as needed. As your studio grows, you just throw in what you need and what money allows...
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I myself have a Yamaha EX5 (in addition to several other synths and workstations) If you are thinking about buying a EX7 do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a EX5, youll get a ton more very useful things that you dont get with the EX7. You can often find EX5s on EBAY for around if not under the cost of an EX7....Youll love it! Dont listen to all those people who complain about it not being perfect! To find a 100% perfect synth is...well I dont think its possible yet. I have had mine since it came out, and I use it every single day.... The only problem will be that your friend will hate you for haveing a much better board at your house!

OH! In case you didnt know, one thing off the bat that makes the EX5 waaaaay better and worth the extra $$ is it samples in stereo, and the EX7 only samples in mono....and you dont want that.

Go here and compare the two boards. http://www.yamahasynth.com/pro/ex5/index.html

IM TELLING YOU, YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

I don't want to go into comparisons because it's a long and convulted story, but I think your main choices are the EX-5, the Triton, and the K2500S. Zzounds has the K2500S on their main page on sale for $1900, and if I were in the market for a new board, that would be my choice, mostly because it has an incredible library of samples and is a much better quality sampler than either the Triton or the EX-5. The Triton is probably the easiest to use ,however, and it does sound killer.

Disregarding the fact that the EX5R has no keys and the S80 does, and that the EX5R has a pretty full sequencer while the S80 does not,could someone tell what the difference actually is between the two, and offer some opinions on which sounds and works best?

I noticed the EX5 series has some kind of modeling that gets used on electric pianos. The S80 has pretty nice EPs itself. I think they are basically sample ROM. What about the EX5's EPs? Are they sample ROM, modeling or both?

Hi there. My suggestion since you make Rap, R&B and Pop, is that you could buy a low cost Studiologic Fatar as a keyboard controller, may be a second hand PC which can run descently a midi and recording sequencer software(e.g. Cubase) and the EMU Mo'Phatt Module which is dedicated to Rap and R&B sounds and has splendid expandibility options. Think about it, because this set up would be a very good base for you to built a really descent project studio in the future.

Mr Sexton

Archived