Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VK-7 Organ is limp

howard_dup1

I just noticed that my vk-7 organ is acting erractic. It will shut down and power itself back up while I'm playing it. I also noticed that if I tap on the top of it this sometimes also causes it to restart. Is this a common problem? Should I get rid of it? What brand of Organ should I replace it with?, Korg?,Hammond? It was a demo model that I paid around $1300. for. I have only had it for 2-3 months and I know I probably get screwed trying to replace it. Any ideas? I'm new at this. Howard

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howard,

There's a thread or two that I believe addresses this in the back pages of this forum...if you can't dig it up, please let me know, and I'll poke around, find it and bump it to the top for you.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks Dave,I found it after I sent the message. Hopefully my local Guitar Center will be generous and either get me a new one or refund my money. Even though it was a demo it was a new demo. I only had it 2 mos. 3 days.

Would you trust this brand of organ again or should I change to Korg or Hammond? I like to play the chords of the oldies (60-70s) that I grew up with. Thanks for your help. Howard

Originally posted by Howard:

Would you trust this brand of organ again or should I change to Korg or Hammond?

You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of them, I think. My personal preference of those three would probably be the Korg, but not by much.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Howard,

I would go for the Korg CX-3. The sounds; features and the keyboard feels are sure 1 step up over the Roland even the Hammond SK-2 - Providing you don't care about the missing footpedal control(The Korg can only received 2 MIDI channels at once); and the bell & whistle misc keyboard sounds.

Hooked on Keys...

Originally posted by Howard:

Thanks Dave,I found it after I sent the message. Hopefully my local Guitar Center will be generous and either get me a new one or refund my money. Even though it was a demo it was a new demo. I only had it 2 mos. 3 days.

Would you trust this brand of organ again or should I change to Korg or Hammond? I like to play the chords of the oldies (60-70s) that I grew up with. Thanks for your help. Howard

Don't bother to try to get a new one out of the deal. I did that and the new one did the same thing. I don't know why they don't fix this problem. I had mine fixed and it's no big deal. It works great now.

I spent an hour on the CX3 last week and it's not worth the difference in my opinion. I heard Tom Coster play one live and it sounds good, but it has the same problem all the B3 wannabe's have. They emulate the sound of a Hammond so well that they have all the ugly idiosyncrisies of an unleslied Hammond. They are piercing on the top end and cold sounding without a leslie. I played that CX and kept going to an XK and VK and back to the CX and I just cant spit for the difference and I'm an OOOOOOLLLLDDDD time B3 guy. I have my VK along with my Triton housed in an old B3 cabinet because my back just won't take the real deal anymore. But, I run the VK thru a 122 leslie and it sounds great.

2 tips though:

1. Go in and crank up the on board midrange and knock off a little of the highs and lows. It helps calm down the piercing highs and gives the middle of the keyboard more stuff like a real B.

2. Buy a tube preamp of some sort. I use an ART that goes for around a hundred bucks. It works fine. You can get by without it if you are using a leslie, but it's necessary if you aren't.

Now that mine doesn't act up anymore I can beat the daylights out of it and she's a real screamer. I'll run her into the ground now.

ps. Thanks Steve http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Archived