Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sequencing

analogman1

Hello all,

Right now I have an old Roland SBX-1000 sync box/smpte recorder/sequencer. It's really an esoteric piece of gear...the sequencer is pretty nice but I don't like the fact that you have to boot the machine from an external disk every time you want to use it. So either I'm going to get a Roland MC-50 or MC-80; or the Yamaha R1MX; or software. Any suggestions on what's not too expensive but will do the job (audio recording is a nice feature but not really a necessity). I'm even considering the PG music Powertracks program.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't use a computer for sequencing. I used the Atari ST and then moved onto the Mac formats but then I discovered the Roland hardware sequencers.

I use the Roland MC50mkII. It's easy to sequence with and has 8 tracks but each track can hold multiple MIDI channels/parts. I rarely quantitize but when I do it sounds great on this unit. It's $450-500 US. The MC80 is better if you need the added features but I've never used it.

For me, a sequencer is just a tapeless recorder. I don't edit parts, I record performances. I do move whole sections around sometimes and this does that with ease. I used to use the Roland MC300 and the Rolands are second nature to me, just so easy to use. I would never say the same about other Roland gear. I usually dislike Roland interfaces in general.

Archived