Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you guys feel about keyboards with hard drives - particularly Kurzweil

Wiggum

Hey all,

Mike's Kurzweil deal is too good, and I think a K2600X will soon find a home.

My question is, how do you feel about the durability, reliability, and longevity of internal keyboard hard drives?

I don't tour or perform live, but I can't imagine connecting a set of keys to my DAW. I know much of this depends on the shockmounts, but can an interal hard drive sustain continous jolts from the keybed (under normal use)?

All the best,

Wiggum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My EIII had an 80 meg drive, was 8 years old when I sold it and suffered nary a mishap.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

What a timely post. The internal SCSI drive on my K2000 failed last week after years of service. I'm not exactly sure how old the drive is but I'm guessing at least seven years. I'm amazed that it lasted as long as it did. I never gigged with the keyboard - it was strictly a studio synth. Almost all of the sounds on the dead drive are now redundant anyway in light of recent additions to my setup. (gigastudio!!!)

and no i never backed it up. oh well.

The hard drive kit for the K2500 and K2600 allows the drive to be suspended around rubber cushions or washers. Essentially the drive isn't in direct contact with the chasis. I can't tell you how many times I've moved my K, but I've never had a problem with the internal drive.

I did just purchase an Orb drive though. These days I'll just take this with me into stores and plug it right in. Its very convenient, fast and reasonably priced.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived