Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synthesizer names

vic_dup4

I work for a company that distrubuted ELKA. Elka was everything except high tech and rock & roll. They made organs.

Suddenly those guys made the Syntex. What a great synth. What a great name. Unfortunatly they put the brand name ELKA as well on the unit.

We bagged them to use the name Syntex without the ELKA name. They refused.

The Syntex was in its time a great flop. We sold them NEW with a build in midi kit for $1000...

Great product, hard to sell because of a brand name wich had a even worse reputation than Casio.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

This message has been edited by pim@dancewave.nl on 02-18-2001 at 09:57 AM

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

I work for a company that distrubuted ELKA. Elka was everything except high tech and rock & roll. They made organs.

Suddenly those guys made the Syntex. What a great synth. What a great name. Unfortunatly the put the brand name ELKA as well on the unit.

We bagged them to use the name Syntex without the ELKA name. They refused.

The Syntex was in its time a great flop. We sold them NEW with a build in midi kit for $1000...

Great product, hard to sell because of a brand name wich had a even worse reputation than Casio.

Wow! Now there is one out of the past. I used to have an Elka string ensemble back around ummm.....'77 or so? Now there is one for my animal names. I was thinking...how about naming them after cows. I hate cows. Colin Powell says he is afraid of them. They can be bullies. The Korg Angus or The Kurzweil Hiefer or the Nord Charlois...not sure about spelling...like I said...I hate cows. But the Elka...how about the Oberheim Moose or the Roland Caribou. Or the Alesis Giant Pig... then you could call the rack version the "Piglet". Who let this asshole in here anyway? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I gotta say that the Elka Synthex is probably the most underrated and underapprecaited synth there ever was. Well, maybe not: Look what they bring nowadays.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I remember synthpop guy Howard Jones ("What is Love","Things can only get better", used to use some Elka stuff.

He's the only artist I can remember, that ever used Elka.

Another obscure italian module I used to own was an Orla (Can't remember model number). It was an FM module, think they liscened some stuff from Yamaha.

-AC

Archived