Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone using a Rhodes sample???

Dave Horne

Hi, I posted a message a few days back and am surprised that no one appears to be using a Fender Rhodes sample. I own an Akai S5000 and would like to hear some recommendations before I buy.

All the best, Dave Horne

This message has been edited by Dave Horne on 02-11-2001 at 07:56 AM

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your message I don't know if you're looking to buy a board or not, but I just got a Yamaha S80, and one of the strengths of it (among many) is the variety & quality of the Rhodes patches. You have the Vintage (Bob James), then 19 Roadz (Donald Fagen on "Hey Nineteen") Herbs Roadz (Hancock), and about 5 others, all tweakable without messing up the main sound.

It's a fully-weighted 88-key with very good action, MUCH better than the mud-like action on my 73 Suitcase Rhodes I had back in the late 70's. It ran me just less than $1500 at Guitar Center.

Jay

As I stated in a recent post in another tread, the best Rhodes sound I've heard (except for the real one, of course) is the one on the "Real Rhodes" sample CD from Pyramid Sounds. It's better than anything you could find in a synth, for two reasons:

1) The sheer amount of memory dedicated to every instrument

2) The care they put on the quality of sampling, looping, switching etc.

Unfortunately, I think they only offer it in Kurzweil format for now. I don't know if the S5000 reads the Kurz format, and how well.

Anyway, I'm told that Wizoo's "Magnetica" sample CD is also very good. It should be in Akai format I think.

Hope this helps

marino

Jay, thanks for the reply. I"m looking for a CD-ROM to buy for my Akai S5000 specifically for a Fender Rhodes sound.

Dave

Originally posted by jay:

From your message I don't know if you're looking to buy a board or not, but I just got a Yamaha S80, and one of the strengths of it (among many) is the variety & quality of the Rhodes patches. You have the Vintage (Bob James), then 19 Roadz (Donald Fagen on "Hey Nineteen") Herbs Roadz (Hancock), and about 5 others, all tweakable without messing up the main sound.

It's a fully-weighted 88-key with very good action, MUCH better than the mud-like action on my 73 Suitcase Rhodes I had back in the late 70's. It ran me just less than $1500 at Guitar Center.

Jay

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Marino, thanks for the info. I'll check out their web site and see of they offer an Akai version of a Fender Rhodes sample.

All the best, Dave

Originally posted by marino:

As I stated in a recent post in another tread, the best Rhodes sound I've heard (except for the real one, of course) is the one on the "Real Rhodes" sample CD from Pyramid Sounds. It's better than anything you could find in a synth, for two reasons:

1) The sheer amount of memory dedicated to every instrument

2) The care they put on the quality of sampling, looping, switching etc.

Unfortunately, I think they only offer it in Kurzweil format for now. I don't know if the S5000 reads the Kurz format, and how well.

Anyway, I'm told that Wizoo's "Magnetica" sample CD is also very good. It should be in Akai format I think.

Hope this helps

marino

Marc, I'll look into that site and ask them re the Akai. I've never used the S3000, only the S5000 so I don't know if any formatting on that sample would be lost or not.

Thanks, Dave

Originally posted by Marc:

There are two versions of Magnetica ( http://www.wizoo.com ):

One is in S3000-format

One in Emu EIV

I own the Akai-Version, use it on my Kurzweil

Greetings

Jim, thansk for the info - I'll check it out.

All the best, Dave

Originally posted by Guest Room Warrior:

It's an oldie, but a very usable Rhodes sample is on the Sonic Arts "Sounds of the 70s" discs. I don't know about formats.... mine are Kurz discs, but there may be other formats as well.

- Jim Bordner

Marc, I read the review of that CD ROM from the Keyboard reviews and have ordered it already.

Thanks again, Dave

Originally posted by Marc:

There are two versions of Magnetica ( http://www.wizoo.com ):

One is in S3000-format

One in Emu EIV

I own the Akai-Version, use it on my Kurzweil

Greetings

Archived