Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best looking synths

Dave Bryce

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sequential Circuits Prophet T8. I think it had real wood on it, like the dashboard of an old Buick station wagon. One of the first synths to offer a nice, weighted action. It didn't look flashy but kind of refined. The knobs felt solid unlike a lot of todays product. I never owned one. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

Emo's Monster Moog. All those pots, wires, and ribbon controller.

The Arp Quadra. Those colors and the flowchart design that was copied on the Rhodes Chroma, and the Jupiters 6 and 8.

The Prophet-10. A 2-keyboard synth! I kick myself for ever selling mine.

The DX7. That sleek membrane switch design was the height of high-tech.

The Fairlight. With it's computer keyboard, monitor, and lightpen.

The Emulators II and III. Killer front panels.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

The Arp Quadra. Those colors and the flowchart design that was copied on the Rhodes Chroma, and the Jupiters 6 and 8..

The Quadra is also one of my faves, as are both the Jupiters that you mentioned. Stunning synths, all of them. The JP6 is especially fun in low lights.

The Chroma does not have the flowchart design, though...it's UI is parameter based, and is actually quite cryptic and kind of a pain to operate.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Good one. In a hurry, here's what comes to mind:

Yamaha DX1

Yamaha GX1

Rhodes Chroma

Synclavier II with sequential keyboard (like the one on the T8)

Roland Jupiter 8

Minimoog

Access Virus Indigo

But of course, nothing beats the looks of a grand piano.

marino

Dave:

I meant the colors. I realize now that my post looked like I meant the flowchart design too. Sorry.

The JX3P also had that to a lesser degree. (Colors again.)

I always liked it just before a show as we walked out in the dark and all the LEDs and displays were lit up on the keyboard rig. Now, I get the same feeling when I walk into the server room at work and see similar lights. Of, course, with 2 Novell servers, 2 Sun boxes, 1 NT Terminal server, a Cabletron switch, a router, and UPS's for everything there's actually more lighst than the old rig. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I tend to lead more towards the modern synths because of their color and minimalism (most of them at least).

Access Virus kb

Alesis Andromeda

Clavia Nord Lead (1,2, and 3)

Roland W-30 (I like the stream-lined look)

Korg Z1

Kurzweil AES (the most beautiful looking synth, ever)

Waldorf Q

Definitely some good ones so far...lemme add a couple

MemoryMoog - the first time I saw this bear, I played it for three hours straight.

Matrix-12 - Sleek and powerful - loved the display.

PPG Wave system...the PPG stuff is definitely a study in the gratuitous use of sheet metal; and, while the Wave itself isn't that impressive-looking, the whole system with the Waveterm, EVU expander module and PRK expander keyboard was pretty bad-ass looking

Waldorf Wave - lotta knobs, way European looking. The very talented Axel Hartmann did the industrial design on this puppy, as well as all the other Waldorf synths, and Andromeda. I think he may have done the Virus synths, too, but I'm not sure. The boy is a genius.

Some older, obscure synths:

The Con Brio ADS200 - talk about a kitschy looking box! Way Jetsons - double manual, built-in TV monitor, real simulated wood veneer...nasty little thing, too...

The Technos (Axcel) 16 Pi Synthesizer. Way gorgeous box. Very obscure, and a set of specs wouldn't believe!

The Gleeman pentaphonic - ever see a clear synth? Seriously...

That Synergy synthesizer that Wendy Carlos has two of, sitting on top of each other - I think it's called a DKS...?

Oh yeah, and I pretty much never met a modular synth that didn't fill me with gear lust... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

BTW, if you wanna see some of these, and a bunch of others, Synthony's MIDI museum is a good resource:

http://www.synthony.com/museum.html

dB

Dave:

If you want to get into the obscure synths, check out my KineticSound Unofficial Prism Website page. Definitely one of the waycoolest looking synths.

..Joe

http://www.netcolony.com/entertainment/kinetic/

If you want to get into the obscure synths, check out my KineticSound Unofficial Prism Website page. Definitely one of the waycoolest looking synths.

Nicely done, sir. I've seen the Prism before (Synth Museum has it, although they've mispelled its name), but never quite so thoroughly...no sound files, though? C'mon, Joe - I wanna hear this puppy!

Do you know many units were sold? Any high profile users? Besides you, I mean... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

dB

I'd have to agree with the Memory Moog. Incredibly fun to play wish I could afford one.

All of the Buchla modulars (seenonly in photos). Got to get some Morton Subotnick albums.

Synclavier 1 and 2 as well as the Fairlight systems.

I dehydrate from drooling whenever I go to the Wendy Carlos web page. Man, so many classics!

Dave:

only 1 of the 2 2/3 units were sold, and Jim Stephenson bought it back when they decided to abandon the project. The "2/3" unit was completed, but had not gone through final testing. Jim now has all of them in his posession.

I am planning on putting sound files on the site, but Jim has to record them and send them to me first. He's semi-retired now and travels a good part of the year, so getting him to find the time is difficult. Hopefully they will be there soon.

I believe the only Prism that is actually working has been used in various music productions. Needless to say, I would LOVE to hear how it sounds. It looks beautiful for sure.

BTW Dave I think you were referring to the GDS, the programmable "father" of the Synergy. It was developed in association with Crumar (yes!).

The original Synergy wasn't programmable, just tweakable. Later, they offered an upgrade that added programmability with the aid of a computer, and the Synergy aquired GDS status.

Additive synthesis, FM, multistage envelopes... looks impressive even today.

Waldorf Wave? Oooh yes, I forgot it.

Con Brio? The Star Trek synth...

I got to play an Axcel (the Technos 16 Pi was its predecessor, with a built-in keyboard) and the touch screen was really something. Just beautiful! Where is resynthesis today?

marino

P.S. - What's happening to the Spell Checker? It doesn't want to check my spell anymore; it refuses to load my posts. Too many mistakes? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I love synths with doubled manual keyboards with lot of knobs/sliders. These are some of them:

- Prophet-10.

- Yamahe SK-50D.

Man, I have a hard time to name more. The doubled manual synths are sure rare. Why the manufactorer do not consider to make one in these days ?

Hooked on Keys...

Originally posted by Keyman:

The doubled manual synths are sure rare. Why the manufactorer do not consider to make one in these days ?

As far as I can tell, you can pretty much blame MIDI.

Basically for what it would cost you to buy a double manual synth, you can buy two different synths, stack 'em up, MIDI 'em together and make your own custom double manual synth that has two engines which can be assigned in any combination to either keyboard - layered even!!!

Plus, it's easier to transport (ever seen a Prophet-10 in a road case? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif ), and you can swap out either manual whenever you feel like it.

Much better idea, yes?

dB

What a great thread.....

As much as I value functionality and sound, an instrument still has to look good.

The best looking (in no particular order):

1) Roland JX-10 Super JX (great color)

2) Roland A50 / A80 (okay, they're not synths, but...)

3) Roland JD800

4) Yamaha DX7-IID/FD

5) Yamaha Clavinova P500 ($10K pro digital stage piano from the mid 90's)

6) Yamaha S80

7) Yamaha SY99

8) Korg Wavestation

9) Kurzweil K2500X

10) Waldorf Wave

11) Supernova (rack)

12) Obie Matrix 12

The worst looking:

1) Roland A90

2) Roland XV-88

3) Roland JV1000

4) The silver Korgs (particularly Triton)

5) Anything Ensoniq

6) Kurzweil PC2X

Some of my top picks don't have a lot of knobs or controllers (which limits their functionality), but they sure look great.

All the best,

Wiggum

This message has been edited by Wiggum on 02-12-2001 at 10:23 PM

I'm trying to decide between an XV-88 or an S80 and one of the things that bothers me about the S80 is the way it looks and feels. (not the keys, the overall package) - the buttons and knobs look awfully plasticky and feel kind of loose, and don't have the same confidence-inspiring feel as other synths I've used. Just my opinion.

I just thought of another that was great looking: The Akai AX-80. Those vacuum flourescent displays were really neat.

The Korg PS series synths:

http://www.synthmuseum.com/korg/korps310001.jpg

All that wood and dark metal.

They used to be distributed by Yamaha in Singapore. I would go ogle them and wonder. Nobody really knowed how to demo them... the things that were moving were the monopoly and polysix. So the PS series just sat there looking lonely and lovely.

Jerry

I just thought of another that was great looking: The Akai AX-80. Those vacuum flourescent displays were really neat.

Yes! Great looking synth! Nice sound, too...

It always bewildered me how different the AX80 looked from its little brother, the AX60 . I found it hard to believe that they came from the same factory...they looked nothing alike, and sounded very different as well...

dB

Another inspiring question from Dave...

1. Korg MS-20. This is how a synth looks like. So simple, so cute.

2. Waldorf The Wave. A masterpiece of art. I like the black one, too. Designed for Darth Vader himself...

3. Roland Jupiter-6. The aluminum sidepanels are great. Roland uses them again on their newest stage piano.

Most ugliest synth ever: Yamaha DX-7.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

MATRIX 12!!! Hands down. That thing is as deep as it is wide. Classic wood sides. Knobs, Buttons, nice silk screened front, BIG LEDs. I still dream of owning one. It just looks so damn powerful - as if you could run a small country from it's front panel.

Andrew

Honorable mention - PPG 2.3

(1) Taurus Bass Pedals (original version). I'd buy an old, broken set just to be able to look at them.

(2) Prophet 5 (Ditto)

(3) Jupiter 8

(4) Moog modular (any system - total class)

(5) Wave 2.3 system

This message has been edited by dansouth@yahoo.com on 02-13-2001 at 05:00 PM

Archived