Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PLEASE: any comments on the EMU emulator II

ddeez

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had An E II+ before I got my EIII. Great sampler. While it cannot compare to today's breed in terms of memory, effects, bells & whistles, today's breed cannot compare in terms of filters. The EII had analog filters that were just plain tits! Additionally, there are a gazillion smaples available for it, which relieves your need to sample the standard sounds. The sequencer is only a scratchpad, but I don't use sequencers, so I really can't speak to that.

If you're considering getting one, stop considering and do it.

For more info, go to http://www.emulatorarchive.com

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

YO! truly appreciate... can you PLEASE get specific on some things:

when you sample stuff (vinyl mainlu) what type of sound does it add to the sample (i know its low bit rate ...does it add that crunchy sound etc)

how easy was it to learn

was it a sturdy machine?

thank you

I must concur with the guys above, why get an EII when you can get an EIII, just saw one on ebay not to long ago and almost bought it. This was the only board I ever creamed over, the analog filters were just great. I have a totally maxed out Esynth keyboard right now, but it just doesnt hit me the same as the E111.

REALLY? im sorry yall but can you get real specific with me im dyin to get one of these emulators but am unsure if i should get the II or the III believe or not i have done research on this but as always would much rather have some cats with REAL experience tell me about it.... how is the sound quality? when sampling do you get a nice gritty lo fi sound???

danx

Regarding reliability: Many people say that the EIII is not real reliable, but in the 3 years I had mine, and gigging with it probably 300 times, I never had the slightest problem. YMMV. The EII+ was a tank. You could stand on it and it wouldn't be fazed in the slightest.

The EII was an 8-bit sampler that companded samples to 12 bit. The EIII was a true 16-bit sampler, so there's a little more grunge in the EII, but it was one of those things that I thought added character to the sample. There was a hiss in the Northstar B-3 disk I had that really added to the realism of a true Hammond.

The EII was based on the Z80 microprocessor, and the EIII used an Emu-designed F Chip. The EII could only have 1/2 meg of RAM, unless you have the II+, and that has a meg, but that's a meg designed to have 2 separate sets of samples and programs in it to facilitate live performing. The EIII could have 4 or 8 meg, depending on the model. Another contention is that the EII used 5 1/4" floppies, whilst the EIII used 3 1/2, which survive the rigors of the road better.

If I had to pick, I would opt for the EIII. It is newer, hence there *might* be parts more readily available should it get sick, and it still has those fabulous Emu analog filters, which to this day are the cat's ass. Additionally, it's easier to hook up CD-ROM drives to it, and use sample CDs.

Truly, though, you won't go wrong with either. When looking to purchase one, ask the seller for their library of sounds with the machine. That will get you started in the right direction.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 02-09-2001 at 11:59 AM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived