Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need some advice on KORGS

rockstar

Hey,

Recently I have been looking for a new keyboard. I have been looking up prices, and realized I am going to have to start saving my money if I want any of the nice keyboards out there.

Does anybody know about the average cost of KORG keyboards or how much money I should be willing to part with?

Are KORGS worth the money?

Should I settle for something less expensive, such as a CASIO $550 keyboard?

I would really appreciate ideas, feedback, advice, or whatever! Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, the korgs that are under $2,000 aren't really worth the money. The main Korg keyboards that are reasonably priced are the N1/N5ex and I know a lot of people who have owned them and don't like their sound at all, they're especially thin because the filters don't resonate. Other than those two, there's the Korg Trinity which is an older model currently being sold at $1700, and there's the upcoming Karma workstation which is sort of like a Triton with performance features, and it should be around $1800.

If you're looking to spend about a grand, you should check out the Roland XP30 or the Yamaha S30, both of which sound MUCH better than the Korg N5.

Hey,

thanks for letting me know.

I think instead of going for a more expensive KORG, I'll try the lesser expensive, good quality Roland or Yamaha! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sounds good to me!

Thanks!

(If anyone has anything else to say- feel free to let me know!)

The question is: How much do you want to spend and what do you want to do with it?

I've seen people in your position actually preferring to go with something like the yamaha psr series.

I agree about the korg's. Actually it's been my feeling about them for a long time; their high end stuff is excellent but their 'budget' synths don't impress me at all. The alesis qs6/qs6.1 has been at about the same price range as the x5 and the n5 for the past 5 years and is much better.

The s30 is a great synth. However, it will be a shame if they used the same keybed that's in the cs6x 'cause it stinks. It's probably one of the most flexible synths nowadays though for the price. The xp30 covers a wider range of sounds but I think the s30's sounds more modern and has a little more punch to it (very subjective, of course)

I would look at the alesis qs6.1 mentioned above. I think they are going for around $ 600 nowadays. Heck, you might even be able to pick up a used one for $400-500.

Rod

Hey,

yeah, thanks. I mean, the KORG seems like a nice keyboard, but I don't want to spend more than I have to if I'm not getting the quality I deserve!

(More opinions welcome!) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by rockstar:

Are KORGS worth the money?

Korg's flagship synth, the Triton, is the best think on the market today, in my not so humble opinion. It will cost you a little over $2k, so it might not be within range of your budget, but is it worth the month? YES!!! Every penny!!!!

But instead of making your decision based upon our recommendations alone, go to a couple of music stores and TRY several instruments. Every instrument has a unique sound. You may love the Korg sound and hate the Roland sound, or vice versa. It doesn't make sense to but one that's less expensive if it doesn't suit your needs or appeal to you at a gut level.

Actually, I just saw the Alesis QS7, which has a pretty nice keybed yesterday for $849! That is alot of board for the money and with all the cards they have you wont run out of sounds for a long time. But, as the nra says it: I will give up my Triton when they pry my cold dead fingers from the keyboard....or somrthin' like that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Looking for a new synth.....

I have been there myself but now is the first time for 20 years that I don't look for another one. I started with synths in -82 and have had all kinds of them. From Moog, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, you name them.

Actually I counted for a while ago the total number of synths I have bought. It was 24 synths!

But to the fact, When I bought my Kurzweil K2000 and later the K2500 I stopped searching for other synths. That is for 2 years ago and I'm still as happy as a puppy.

(But if you're in to hip-hop I don't think you'll be happy with a Kurzweil)

It all comes down to:

Do you like the sounds?

Can you get around on it?

Does it do everything you need it to do?

Is it in your price range?

Do the keys feel ok?

Do you like the sounds?

Everything else, including who makes it, doesn't matter once these questions are answered. If it's made by a guy in his garage and he puts a warranty on it, it may be worth it!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Archived