Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ variation

Dave Bryce

Okay, similar topic to the three pianists question' except slightly different guidelines.

Name an organ player (yes, just one) who has really been a major influence on your playing.

An honorable mention is cool on this one as well.

Oh yeah, let's make it a bit more interesting and remove Keith Emerson and Jimmy Smith from eligibility so that others might get some votes http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

My nod would have to go to Chester Thompson. I went to see Tower of Power many years ago, and this guy just killed me. I had never seen anyone play Hammond like that. Man, is he a soulful player...

Honorable mention: Jon Lord, because no one rocks a Hammond harder.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to agree with Wakeman and Allman. Loved the music since I first set my ears on them.

I would have to throw a dark horse in here: my third choice is whoever played the organ solo on Boston's "Smokin'" from their first album. Probably the same person who did the "Foreplay" solo. I can't find out who it is. From the Boston web site, you would think it was Tom Scholz... didn't know he had it in him! Anybody know the real answer?

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Originally posted by murph:

I would have to agree with Wakeman and Allman. Loved the music since I first set my ears on them.

I would have to throw a dark horse in here: my third choice is whoever played the organ solo on Boston's "Smokin'" from their first album. Probably the same person who did the "Foreplay" solo. I can't find out who it is. From the Boston web site, you would think it was Tom Scholz... didn't know he had it in him! Anybody know the real answer?

Scholz played both of those pieces. He did 'em live, too...I watched him.

Talented boy...

dB

Yeah Chester Thompson was pretty cool, ever checked his rare 1971 Black Jazz solo LP Powerhouse? really really nice indeed.

My main influences would have to be

1) Johnny Hammond Smith (The one who really got me into B-3 stuff... Los Conquistador la Chocolates is wonderful)

2) Charles Earland (The one and only, did this guy scream on a hammond or what ? I love that track Mourelli sp?)

3) Dieter Reith (Check his solo LPs and the ones with Peter Herbolzheimer in the early 70s probably my main influence)

4) Ronnie Foster (the one who I think most modern acid jazz keyboardists sound like as he uses a lot of modern approaches like stacked 4ths and outside scales, check the LP Two Headed Freap from 1972)

I also love how John Medeski and Robert Walter approach the organ

Peace

Neil

Originally posted by steadyb:

Honorable mention : the organist on Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle"

by the way, does anyone know who that was???

steadyb

It was Jachym Young on organ for Fly Like an Eagle, very tasty stuff.

My personal vote is for John Medeski.

My influence:

1) Chester Thompson

2) Rick Wakeman

3) The original organist is Santana (my bad, can't remember his name now, he is my primary influence, especial his solo in Evil Ways. Oh.... My bad..

)

Hooked on Keys...

I will have the answer shortly abou that. But, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. He is, actually, a "smokin" rock hammond player. He actually plays an M100.

Tony Zamagni is, hands down, my current major influence. He plays for Buddy Guy, but released an album on Tone Cool called Kiss My Blues and he just plain tears that sucker up. He is SOOOOO soulful that it makes my knees buckle. He uses the drawbars, percussion, chorus and his pair of 122 Leslies like Emerson uses an anolog synth....constantly evolving...as much a part of his style as his chops.

For runner up, I would have to say Tom Coster...also a Santana Alumni, now with Vital Information ( Steve Smith, Baron Browne and Frank Gambale). He. too is quite hot and uses the who organ very tastefully. It is almost unfair that for guys that good should be allowed to play together. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I just got my call from a friend of mine who writes for Boston and he confirmed that, indeed, Schulz plays all the organ stuff originally and live. I saw him do it live, but wasn't sure about the originals. Check out the website. He has a most interesting leslie rig for touring. I think it is still on there in detail. jwk

Too bad I can't use (1)Emerson (listen to the stunning organ work from... well, just about everything!!) Or (2) Jimmy Smith (again, everything).

I can't believe no one has mentioned the recently departed great

Captain Jack McDuff. I saw him live, he had the greatest B3 sound

I've ever heard (2 different leslies).

Or, how about whoever did the organ work on the Sugarloaf hit

Green Eyed Lady?

ktmh

Originally posted by ktmh@prodigy.net:

Too bad I can't use (1)Emerson (listen to the stunning organ work from... well, just about everything!!) Or (2) Jimmy Smith (again, everything)

Fully agreed - probably by many (if not most) of the people on this forum...which would pretty much be why I took 'em out in the first place! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

dB

Altho I've been influenced by many 70's Hammond players (Brian Auger, Craig Frost, Ken Hensley, Billy Preston, Gregg Allman, Gregg Rolie, Bobby Whitlock, John Evan, Robert Lamm)...

I'd have to pick Jon Lord, the king of overdrive, as the most influential. His stylings & voicings kept Deep Purple above the rest. Also, seeing him live was a real trip in that half the guts of his B-3 would be coming out the back.

Jay

Originally posted by ktmh@prodigy.net:

Or, how about whoever did the organ work on the Sugarloaf hit

Green Eyed Lady?

Wasn't it Jerry Corbetta? Or was he just the singer? Hmmm - who's gat a Sugarloaf album?

dB

Archived