Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Secret Places to get Great Deals

Murky Bog Demigod

I know we're all over the globe. But I thought it'd be good to exchange tips on where to find good deals on used equipment. I feel most stuff on eBay ends up selling for more than it's worth. But pawn shops and used music stores can give incredible deals. So tell me where you shop to find the great deals, if you don't mind giving out the secret. Good websites count too.

Here's my tip to start us off:

Black Market Music in Los Angeles. West side of La Cieniga, N of Melrose, S of Santa Monica. This place is PACKED! Great selection of synths, outboards, all kinds of stuff! And they all have sticker prices; negotiable, of course.

Also try http://music.recycler.com - Pictures are few and far between, but a lot of people are trying to unload stuff in package deals that are ridiculous.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Murky Bog Demigod:

I know we're all over the globe. But I thought it'd be good to exchange tips on where to find good deals on used equipment. I feel most stuff on eBay ends up selling for more than it's worth. But pawn shops and used music stores can give incredible deals. So tell me where you shop to find the great deals, if you don't mind giving out the secret. Good websites count too.

B]

My experience with used equipment shops is that it's a joke. I was at bananas at large (SF bay area) and I took a quick look at used equipment store they have. It was a joke! I mean, the prices are negotiable but all the equipment I took a look at and had an idea of what is was worth was at least double what I would pay for it. I went a few times to Rogue Music in NYC and had the same impression. Ditto with any used equipment on Guitar centers.

I still think Ebay is a decent bet. What I did the last few times was bid only on stuff that was close enough I could pick it up, so I could try it out. Ditto on the guy who bought my kurzweil micropiano, he asked to stop by my house to check it out. Granted, sometimes people get carried way but the volume of stuff going thru is so high you're bound to get a good deal if you're patient.

Sometimes you get lucky on pawn shops if people don't know what the stuff is worth.

1st choice.. people selling stuff locally. I bought my Kawai K1 from this guy at school (back in 1990) who took really good care of it and gave me a good deal. 2nd choice Ebay.

Rod

Archived