Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Cable Help please

testyza

I have a Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 sound card system...yet to be installed.

I could use the Joystick/Midi port...but right out front are what looks to me like NEW style Midi ports.

On the Qs6.1 they have a port and call it a SERIAL port.

Here on the SBLP5.1 they call them MIDI ports.

IN/OUT

My problem is I don't know how to SEARCH for these on the net.

IE: http://www.usmac.net/wow/MIDI10foot.jpg

I can tell that's the (what I call standard)

midi cable, about 3/4" around, with 5 pins.

This other MIDI port I'm talking about is small, probably exactly the same size around as a PS/2 Mouse or Keyboard is....the input looks the SAME.

It's pin layout is:

2 pin holes on left

3 pin holes on right

1 pin hole in the middle

(which is probably for a guide, not a pin in itself)

If anyone can help out in searching for these, that'd be great.

I saw it at the music store, but didn't think it'd be that hard to search for on net, and didn't get the tech term for them...Can usually get 2 for 1 on the net...that's why I'm asking.

IE: What's the name of these

"New Midi Serial"

"Serial Midi"

"5 pin New Midi"

"6 pin New Midi"

eh?

Thanks,

testyza

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

testyza,

The serial port on the QS6.1 is designed to do away with the need of the computer to have Midi ports. It's supposed to go straight to a computer serial port (9 or 15 pins) with a cable that might come with it. If it doesn't, you can get it at most music stores.

The LiveDrive front end for the SB card was supposed to have full-sized midi ports. But you seem to suggest it doesn't.

This other MIDI port I'm talking about is small, probably exactly the same size around as a PS/2 Mouse or Keyboard is....the input looks the SAME.

In fact it should be the same: MIDI is a 5 pin DIN connector, the same one used by computer keyboards. In order to get those mini-DIN ports to be standard MIDI you just need a DIN-ps/2 Keyboard/Mouse adapter. That would have a female 5 pin DIN (the big one) on one side and a male PS/2 port (the little one) on the other side. Then you can hook a normal midi cable from your computer to the QS.

As you said, you can also use the joystick port and a joystick to midi-adapter cable which is usually about 15 - 25 bucks.

I hope you are now less confused.

Archived