Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite solos?

Dave Bryce

When I saw Jerry's "Synth Leads" thread, I thought that this was where he was going with it, but it wasn't...so I will.

Pretty self explanatory topic - what are the solos that define stellar keyboard playing for you/blow your socks off?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one...let's see:

Keith Emerson- "Trilogy"

Jan Hammer- "Oh Yeah" and "Red & Orange"

Joe Zawinul- "Birdland"

Chick Corea- "Gotta Match?"

Tony Banks- "In The Cage"

Those are jumping out at me right now. They all came out at crucial points of my development as a player. I still incorporate something from each of those guys in my own solos.

K.

This is an easy one for me.

Tony Banks on the songs Riding the Scree and Cinema Show. He hadn't owned a synth for very long at that point in his career, yet that is what he came up with. Amazing. I think he was playing an ARP Oddessy or Pro Soloist ? He's the reason I'm a keyboardist today. He isn't an emotional player but his ideas are brilliant.

I was always impressed by Steve Winwood and his ability to phrase like a sax player. The solo on Valerie comes to mind. The solo emphasizes the melody and he is serving that instead of showing off for ego's sake or the other musicians.

Keith Emerson - "Blues Variation, Pictures at an Exhibition. Absolutely balls-to-the-wall, and a bear to play.

Tony Banks - The Cage Medley (live.) 'Nuff said.

Rick Wakeman - The synth accompaniment to "Wondrous Stories." Wonderful parallel runs, and a happy-go-lucky style that's a joy to the ears.

Jurgen Fritz - The March to the Eternal City, Spartacus. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Those never fail to cheer me up.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Okay - so no prog heads on this forum... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I, too, am a Banks devotee...in addition to the solos already mentioned, I add the Firth of Fifth piano solo (and the synth line, too!), and the Apocalypse in 9/8 organ solo from Supper's Ready. Also those burning synth leads on Duke's Travels.....

Blues Variation is definitely one of the most influential solos in my history as well. My other big Emo solo is the one in the middle of 3rd Impression.

My fave Wakeman solo is on Myths and Legends etc...a song called Lancelot and the Black Knight.

I can't believe you mentioned Jurgen Fritz and Spartacus, Joe - great album! Is that even out on disc?

How about the awesome Mini-moog lead on Cy Borg (Joe's Garage - FZ)?

I could toss 'em out all day...

Worst synth performance? Linda McCartney - Band on the Run. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

dB

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Pretty self explanatory answer - Art Tatum.

Another fine choice! Solo Masterpiece albums, no doubt...any particular volume or piece? Besides all of them, I mean... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

For any of you who don't know these records - if you really wanna hear someone play the piano...I mean REALLY play the daylights out of the piano, then I highly recommend that you check them out.

dB

Among many gems, I would pick up Tatum's treatment of "Humoresque", a classical piece written by Dvorak. The balancing of virtuosity, touch, and taste is a miracle.

Anyway, Art Tatum is the ultimate reality check for any keyboard player. His smiling portrait is looking at me from the wall near my piano, just in case I start to take my playing a bit too seriously. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

marino

David et al:

Great thread... Obviously more interesting than lead synth sound design http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Adding to the list of great solos:

Banks - Concur with the ones mentioned. I'd like to add the intro to the Lamb (double handed piano riff)

Wakeman - The whole pipe organ thing on Awaken from the same album as Wondrous Stories. (BTW the synth on Wondrous Stories... what was it? a Polymoog?)

Jordan Rudess - Ok I know we should only mention old guys.. but I have this Magna Carta ELP tribute and he does a version of Hoedown, together with a violinist. Very tasty throughout, a powerful solo and a spectacular demonstration of left hand technique and hand independence if he plays those parts live. Some great playing elsewhere on the album from others in this community http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I'd like more specifics on the Tatum stuff myself. Marino, I'll check out Humoreske... I used to know it (as a parlour piece). The melody does lend itself to some stretching. I wonder what pleasant and humorous tweaking Mr. Tatum did?

Cheers,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Jerry Aiyathurai on 01-29-2001 at 09:34 PM

A jazz pianist dies and goes to heaven. One morning, while walking past the concert hall, he hears the most incredible piano music, technically brilliant, full of swing and brimming with joy. "Oh, my goodness! That's Art Tatum! He must be practicing."

Not wanting to disturb the master, he runs over to the cafeteria where his fellow musicians are enjoying a leisurely breakfast.

"Hey, guys! Guess who's practicing over at the concert hall - it's Art Tatum!"

The other musicians look at each other and smile. "No, no," one of them finally volunteers. "Mr. Tatum never gets up this early. That was God. And, ya know, He's almost as GOOD as Art Tatum." http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Maybe it's been mentioned before... the solo to "Light My Fire" by The Doors. It's like 5 minutes long, but it wasn't really that amazing to me until I tried to play it. Many of the harmonic intervals are tenths, elevenths, and twelves which is far beyond the extent of my hands (literally).

Mike

Dave:

I, too, am a Banks devotee...in addition to the solos already mentioned, I add the Firth of Fifth piano solo (and the synth line, too!), and the Apocalypse in 9/8 organ solo from Supper's Ready. Also those burning synth leads on Duke's Travels.....

There's so much of Banks' stuff one could praise. He's probably the most underrated of the prog keyoardists. Whilst everyone else was going for the flash, he was sitting there quietly on stage, and a head bob was probably the high of antics for him, but the music was thrilling on its own. Listen to the little organ lead on "Robbery, Assault and Battery" for the incredible time shifts and hand-over-hand playing, or the delicacy of the minimalism in "Second Home By The Sea" and you'll hear some wonderfully thought-out playing.

Blues Variation is definitely one of the most influential solos in my history as well. My other big Emo solo is the one in the middle of 3rd Impression.

I had actually started to write "the organ solo in 3rd" and switched to Blues variation. I think that little passage on the Hammond is probably the most difficult short passage I've ever tried to play. While I can whip through the 1st, and at one time was able to play the 2nd, I don't think I ever really got that solo down pat. I listed Blues Variation because of what it was: An impromptu jam by ELP that was just fun to listen to, amazing to hear, and what ELP was best at: Playing music that broke ground because of the musicality, style, and technique of 3 players going full out. Kind of like the live version of Tarkus, where they showed why they influenced us all so much.

I can't believe you mentioned Jurgen Fritz and Spartacus, Joe - great album! Is that even out on disc?

Not only is it out on disc, but Jurgen is in the process of producing a new Truimvirat album. Probably the most unkown prog keyboardist out there. I had trouble picking a fave from him too. There's "Panic on 5th Avenue," and so much else from "Spartacus" that it's hard to nail down to one item. "The March" just had such great energy and clean playing that it's always a standout.

---

Jerry:

The synth on "Wondrous Stories" is indeed a polymoog.

That hand-over-hand playing style is a hallmark of Banks' playing style. The above mentioned "Robbery, Assault and Battery" has it, as does "The Lamb" and "No Reply At All" is another. It's a lot of fun to do, and gets some wide-eyed stares from other players.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 01-30-2001 at 05:21 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Liz Story's "Things With Wings" and the intro to Lyle Mays' "Highland Aire" are about as much fun as you can legally have with a piano. On the Moody Blues' album "Long Distance Voyager", Patrick Moraz unleashes a beautifully fluid Minimoog descant behind Justin Hayward's vocals on "In My World".

To add to the excellent list of solos here:

Everything Tony Banks has done has been magnificent, he is my favorite keyboard player as well. If you've ever heard "Inside and Out," which is on an EP and the new Volume 2 box set but not on an official album release, the solo in that song is totally uncharacteristic of anything else Tony did, and that's what makes it interesting.

As far as Rick Wakeman is concerned, I still am floored when I listen to the pipe organ/synth solo in "Close to the Edge." I just saw Yes a few months ago on the MAsterworks tour, and they opened with this song. Even though Rick wasn't playing, I was still in a dreamland during that solo!

Everything you mentioned about Emerson is great, and I also have to add "Tarkus." Each passage is absolutely brilliant in composition and execution, and it's one of my favorite ELP songs.

I know I might hear some flak for picking this band, but though they are one of the most critically panned bands to ever exist, I think some of Styx keyboardist Dennis DeYoung's keyboard parts are right up there with Banks and Wakeman (maybe not Emerson), particularly the album "Grand Illusion."

In a jazz vein, I think that Jimmy Smith's organ playing has shaped almost anyone else who has tried to play a B-3. THere is no one that sounds like he does, and he is still going strong.

Jazz playing has always eluded me, so I try not to comment on it too much, but the greats - Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, etc., are right up there. Another is Joey DeFrancesco. I love hearing him. Unfortunately, jazz is all but unknown here in Savannah, so my listening has dwindled lately.

On Banks' first solo album, "A Curious Feeling" there is a song called "The Lie" that has some VERY uncharacteristic leads for him. It blew me away the first time I heard it, and every time after.

Wakeman really did get into pipe organ for awile. I loved "Awakwen." Great stuff.

Dennis DeYoung is quite the player too. I just always felt that the synth sounds he used were too thin ("wanky" in my parlance) to put him up there. That was the thing about the old prog'ers. They knew how to fit a sound to a lead. The aggression, the way it cut through, you don't hear that anymore. That said, I loved "Angry Young Man" by Styx. (Or is it called "Foolin' Yourself?" I'm horrible with titles.)

Speaking of "Angry Young Man," Billy joel used to be quite the player before he started "doing" Billy Joel. Some of his older stuff - "Root Beer Rag," "Prelude/Angry Young Man," were quite good.

Hey, Dave:

Great thread. It really brings back why I got so hooked on Rock and quit the classical scene. (Well, the music, yes, but the money and the women were better and more plentiful! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I stay on this board much longer and I'm going to have to get that second KX76 and a Kurzweil K2000r and start working on my chops again!)

As I've said before I am no prog-rock head. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif Maybe I need to be converted. I'll use these suggestions as things to check out.

When I think "best solos" I think: Herbie Hancock (@piano). All of Maiden Voyage is incredibly inspiring, beautiful and amazing. I really wish I there was a second recording of the whole disc, so I could hear new solos on all the tunes.. but the original is a masterpiece. I also love his solo on So What from the Miles 1964 concert where he comes up with an amazing lick and goes everywhere with it. But the one that's really got me is his playing on "Triste" by Jobim which is featured on a disc called Double Rainbow. That solo really knocks my socks off and takes intensity to incredible levels.

Another solo which I continue to love is Marcus Roberts on the gorgeous Monk piece "Light Blue". His four-chorus solo has everything I want from jazz piano, from tatum-inspired full keyboard licks to intense harmonic feelings to gorgeous melody. It's on the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra's "They Came to Swing", which incidentally is one of my favorite CD's of all time.

Other incredible jazz keyboard solos:

Bud Powell: "Tempus Fugit" and "Halleluiah" (from "The Genius of Bud Powell"). Did I say incredible? Yes.

Bill Evans: "Solar" ("The Vilage Vanguard Sessions"). Telepathic interplay with Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro.

Chick Corea: "Matrix" (from "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs"). Very innovative rhythmic and modal playing.

Joe Zawinul: Among many, the closing solo of "Birland" (Weather Report: "Heavy Weather" and "8,30"). He said that he improvised/overdubbed it in the studio, and then he had to learn it to play it live. And he did! He played it at mach 2 in concert, while keeping a completely different rhythmic dimension in the left hand chords. Scary.

In the prog field, one of my favorite is also "Awaken". The pipe organ certainly sets the mood, and the crescendo is unforgettable.

marino

This message has been edited by marino on 01-31-2001 at 02:44 AM

When I thought about this the first solos that came to mind were:

1. all of them on ELP's Tarkus. They are among the most memorable melodies in history, in my opinion. That was and will forever be a simply brilliant piece of art.

I hear that Emerson is planning on recording Tarkus in it's entirety with the London Symphonic Orch. Way too cool. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

2. Zawinal's Birdland solo. Another classic and another regular wiz at the ol' keys he is for sure.

3. Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage. That's right up there too. I love Herbie's style. Though a respected player, I have always felt that he has earned way more respect than he seems to have accrued.

4. Everything that Oscar Pederson does. While I can't pull one solo out of my memory that shines above others it is only because this guy is always playing the best passage that you know you will ever hear only to turn around in the next song-or sometimes in the same one- and do something that blows the last one out of the water. And the ease at which he does it is simply phenomenal.

Yet, he can play one note and make it sound better than anyone else. A true Piano Deity.

5. Here is a somewhat obscure one, but one I highly recommend...Tony Z's Kiss My Blues.

Tony is Buddy Guy's keyboardist-at last

count- but he did this solo album that has some of the most tasteful B3 work I have ever heard. His command of chordal textures and use of drawbars is, in my opinion, second to none. He is hands down my favorite B3 man. It's just like an extention of his soul. You can't say "oh this sounds like Tony Z" because his sound is forever evolving from one to another.

Sounds like we should vote for our favorite solos. Looks like Kieth, Joe and Herbie have a head start on the competition though. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by joegerardi:

Dave:

Not only is it out on disc, but Jurgen is in the process of producing a new Truimvirat album. Probably the most unkown prog keyboardist out there.

John Tout from Renaissance also falls into the "great unknown keyboard players" category. Kerry Minnear from Gentle Giant as well...

On the Triumvirat front, I have had no luck whatsoever locating either "Spartacus" or "Illusions on a Double Dimple". "Pompeii" and "Old Loves Die Hard" both seem to be quite easy to locate - but I want the two good ones!!!

Anybody got any leads???

dB

Wow... where would I start?

(Who will leave out on accident?)

Jan Hammer (several)

Tony Banks (several, including Scree, Entangled, Robber, Assault & Battery, solos from A Curious Feeling, etc, etc, etc).

Keith Emerson (several)

Split Enz (several)

The band "Lake" (several)

Brent Myland's Minimoog on Alabama Getaway

Rod Argent's long solo version of Hold your Head Up

Tons of Rick Wakeman (My first was hearing White Rock, so the first thing I ever heard him play was that Mini on 3 minutes of rollercoaster-like solos!)

Steely Dan (organ on "Do it again')

Boston (Smokin')

Joe Zawinul (anything on Heavy Weather)

Lyle Mays (several, including Oberheim on It's for you)

Larry Fast's minimoog doing Classical Gas (not really a solo, but ripping anyways!)

John Paul Jones (All of my Love- GX1)

Henry Mancini- tons

Jimmy Destri's solo on Blondie's Call Me

Beach Boys- several

Too many. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dave:

Check out: http://www.triumvirat.net/]http://www.triumvirat.net/

And here's a site with some well done .MIDs of Triumvirat stuff: http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Icho/1130/midi/

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 02-01-2001 at 10:57 AM

The album "Rotters Club" by Hatfield and the North has some unbelievable e.piano and synth solos. Dave Stewart was the keyboard player and it came out in 1975. Very adventurous, progressive rock/fusion, bizarre lyrics. I read his column in Keyboard magazine for years but never knew he could play until a friend had me listen to it. The remastered version has great bonus tracks.

Bruce Hornsby and the Range "The Way it is". I got sick of the song because of all the airplay but it really was refreshing to hear a good piano solo on FM radio. He has better solos than that one but I forget the names.

You're all forgetting the greatest keyboard solo of all time, and recorded on video to boot, Flock of Seagulls big hit!! The way he effortlessly transfers from one index finger to the other, without removing his eyes from the camera, AWESOME!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by joegerardi:

Dave:

Check out: http://www.triumvirat.net

I found that yesterday - it only appears to have links to Amazon and CD-Now, neither of which have Spartacus...am I missing something?

dB

Dave:

You're not missing anything. I erred. Spartacus was re-released in 1995 and I thought it would still be in the catalogue. It isn't. There is talk on remasters being issued, but no joy as of yet. Sorry to get your hopes up.

I do have a bunch of Spartacus on MP3 if you're interested.

..Joe

Dave:

Send an email address to:

joegerardi@yahoo.com

and if your mailbox has size limitations let me know so I don't overflow it.

..Joe

Archived