Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I use a guitar pedal with a keyboard??????

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi KeyboardFreak, are you the same person who

hang out at the Synthzone BBS ? I never try

out the guitar stomp box with the XV-88 because I don't have this key http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif. But I tried

to hook up a EQ- stomp box on my DX7 before,

The output is little more noisy and the sound

is more Lo-Fi which is good for my taste but

it may not be your desire if you are after

the clean crispy silky pop sound.

Hooked on Keys...

Originally posted by KeyboardFreak:

I want to hook up an EQ pedal to my XV-88 to give me graphic EQ........... The EQ effect on the XV is under too many menus. Will a guitar pedal yield good results..... or will it sound really bad?

It seems to me that the main drawback of using a pedal can be that if you use a lot of different sounds, the EQ curve that you choose may not be ideally suited for some of them. I'm guessing that you're having to run in mono to do this as well - I don't know of any stereo Graphic EQ pedals...

Is this for live, or recording?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Yes.... I am here from SynthZone (looking for more info on this)..... and yes DB, I thought about the frequency curve thing..... I was thinking in particular about the Boss bass equalizer... it has a much broader range than all the guitar ones...... and yeah, I'm running in mono right now. And.... this is for live performance.

Most rackmount gear has better circuitry than a stompbox made for guitar but that isn't always the case. The Moog pedals, Carl Martin, Boss, and others made today are less noisy than the ones I bought years ago. I use stompboxes on keyboards and drum machines all the time with great results. I love analog flanging, delay, and chorus better than digital so I use the pedals instead. In the 70's keyboardists used the MXR phaser for a cheap leslie effect. If you ever see pictures of Tony Banks (Genesis) keyboard set-up from that time, you see he was using pedals on almost everything.

I would try the EQ and see what you think. Graphic EQ's by Digitech, Alesis, and others are pretty inexpensive and they would be a better tool. I've read good things about the Joe Meek VC5 EQ...it's about $300 US.

I was hoping there'd be answer here to my main question about using stompboxes with keyboards (other than the moogerfogers that is) - do you need to do anything to lower the output volume of the keyboard? Don't you need some kind of impedance converter even though the cabling is still 1/4"? If you don't want exactly a lo-fi sound, Will the hot signal from a keyboard distort the pedal? Furthermore, is there any danger of messing up the pedal itself if you turn up the keyboard too high?

I imagine if I were to use a stompbox on my keyboard that I'd have to turn it way down and get an active volume pedal instead of my little passive RFX pedal so as to re-boost the signal on the way to the amp... is this a correct assumption?

Originally posted by steve44@visto.com:

I was hoping there'd be answer here to my main question about using stompboxes with keyboards (other than the moogerfogers that is) - do you need to do anything to lower the output volume of the keyboard? Don't you need some kind of impedance converter even though the cabling is still 1/4"? If you don't want exactly a lo-fi sound, Will the hot signal from a keyboard distort the pedal? Furthermore, is there any danger of messing up the pedal itself if you turn up the keyboard too high?

I have found that pretty much every pedal that I've ever tried to use with any keyboard has worked just fine. I just plug 'em straight in - sometimes you've gotta do a bit of gain staging, but I don't believe that you're in danger of hurting anything...besides, sometimes a little distortion is a good thing.

BTW, Moogerfooger pedals work perfectly with either keys or guitar.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived