Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buchla samples

wormhole

Been reading about the systems this guy put together and they sound pretty far out. has anyone played with one? I figure they are pretty expensive but I'd love to hear some samples or just know more aboiut them. The Buchla page has alot of info and great pics but no samples.

Was that a Music Easel that Terry Bozio is playing in the studio in Zappa's Baby Snakes?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buchla systems of any kind go for multiple thousands of dollars right now, unless you get extremely lucky or know someone who's kind enough to let you know if they hear about an available system. As far as I know, there are no sample CDs of them, but you can get new or used several records that are either entirely Buchla or prominently Buchla. Check www.buchla.com's Historical section to know what each system is and does.

Morton Subotnick created the only all-Buchla recordings that I'm aware of, mostly from the late 1960s through the mid 1970s:

Silver Apples of the Moon

The Wild Bull

Touch

Four Butterflies

Until Spring

Sidewinder

A Sky of Cloudless Sulphur

in a rough order. Silver Apples is a bit uncontrolled-sounding, but by Touch and Four Butterflies he had it down. They are all highly impressionistic pieces of art, and are not particularly melodic or "tuneful" as some would require music to be. You can find vinyl copies on eBay all the time. Touch and the ones that follow are fairly rare and can go for over ten or twenty dollars. Silver Apples and The Wild Bull are available on an import CD from Wergo (Germany) as is Touch, which is accompanied by a later acoustic work of his. David Rosenboom did a record called "Future Travel" a decade or so ago that features a very rare digital Buchla that predated the larger-production 400 series; the record is very fringe and the Buchla sounds are mostly pinging FM-style. Douglas Leedy did combined Moog and Buchla work (check eBay again). None of these recordings captures the analog modular's full-range tone in all it's character. The analog 100 and 200 are peculiar instruments which no other truly approached or replaced.

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Archived