Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am SO new that....

I am so new that I can't figure out how to connect my keyboard to my computer. I have a Yamaha PSR-270. I think I have a "MIDI for WDM-Based Device/Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth." A "TTS Virtual Piano Driver" is also listed because I installed Cakewalk Express that came with the cables I bought.

I downloaded some ACID software and it said I had no MIDI input. The Cakewalk was a little more vague, but said my "TSS" driver was enabled, but "inactive." It couldn't explain why.

I just want to play around with recording MIDI for awhile and don't really want to invest in a new soundcard.

Is there any hope? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Joseph,

Yes, there is hope! Your best bet is to get in touch with Cakewalk support, but in the interim, please list the kind of computer you are using, whether or not it has a USB connection, how much RAM it has, and what type of MIDI interface you have, if any. With that information, someone here might be able to help, and you'll need to give all of the above to the Cakewalk techs, anyway, so you might as well write it down somewhere now.

I don't know how familiar you are with MIDI, but you should know that it does not record audio, as a tape recorder does. It records that keys that you press on the keyboard, and plays those keystrokes back when you press play. I hope that this is in line with your expectations.

Good luck!

Also, some 'Sound Cards' with MIDI don't actually have the interface for your cables - these have become optional extras in this day and age. If there's a serial or parallel port on your soundcard, it may be for an 'extension box' or 'outlet head' or 'pigtail lead' or whatever . . . an extra interface component not actually contained on the soundcard. Look for words like 'EXTERNAL' or 'OUTBOARD' when you look at your system configuration files for the soundcard.

I have a similar keyboard... Yamaha PSR-240 or 260 or somesuch. I am using it solely as a MIDI controller with some software synths and stuff, and I know it works fine as a MIDI controller.

The key issue, though is your sound card. You need to make sure that your MIDI drivers for the sound card are installed and working. If you're using Windows 95/98/Me, look in control panel -> system. Click the "Device Manager" and look at "sound devices" or something like that. I think it may be "Sound, Midi and Game devices". I don't recall, and I'm using an NT machine right now, so I can't say exactly.

Anyway, make sure that there's a MIDI driver installed. If not, try to find fresh drivers for your card over the net.

As for actually using it, I hate to say, it, but you've got a ton to learn about. You probably won't want to use the PSR as the output device, because the sounds are mad cheesy. However, a decent software synth like Reaktor is damn expensive and has a pretty steep learning curve as well. It really depends on the kind of music you want to make and how good you want to make it sound.

Hope I've been of at least a little bit of help. I know how you feel - I'm just picking up keyboarding myself. I have a bit of an advantage, though: I'm an engineering student (and therefore comfortable with computers) and have been playing drums for 11 years already.

Good luck! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks to everyone for responding. OK. So here's where I show my ignorance. Until recently, I've only had a computer at work and know a little about them, but not much. But I'll give it a shot.

I have a Systemax computer (I know, an off brand, but a great deal) with a MS 6340 Micro ATX VA motherboard with a 900 mhz AMD Athlon. 30 gig HD and 128 mb RAM. I have Windows ME. I have two USB ports, but the midi cable is plugged into the joystick/midi connector. That's where I get fuzzy on my set-up. I can't figure out the brand name on the sound card so I can't look up a driver update. I do know it has only the simple "mini" inputs for line in, line out, and mic.

When I go into, Setting/Control Panel/Sounds&Multimedia/Devices, I get and "Audio Devices" listing and a "MIDI Devices and Instruments" listing. Under MIDI... I have "MIDI for WDM-Based Device" which opens to "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. When I right click on that, the "Properties" choice is "grayed out."

Under Audio Devices I get "Audio for Generic Voice Modem Serial Wave Device" and "Audio for VIA PCI Audio Controller (WDM).

Is that even enough information if I contact Cakewalk support?

I know a little about MIDI. I actually worked with it a little at a local theme park, but I knew more about the signal flow than what it was actually doing. Since I got the keyboard last year, I've read a few articles in Keyboard and on the web.

I'm not going for great quality. No one will hear this stuff (if I ever get it connected) but me. I just wanted a little more recording flexibility and storage options than what the on-board recorder the PSR-270 has. I just thought it'd be nice if all I needed was a cable to have a little extra fun with the keyboard. I'm not completely ruling out buying a better sound card IF I'm sure that's the problem.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

This message has been edited by josephfreeman@hotmail.com on 01-10-2001 at 10:00 PM

Open up your computer and look for a brand name on the sound card . . . I had to do that with my generic CD drive.

If the sound card is 'integrated' with the motherboard, the driver ought to be easy to find (included in the software/website).

If it's a third party manufacture, check their website (this is where the detective work on the inside of the case comes in) or check their prices in your local paper. You may wind up buying a new MIDI interface - perhaps a USB model.

If the current price of your card is something like $20.00, just get a new one - it's not worth all this aggravation and lost productivity for you.

Sounds like your sound card actually is integrated. I say this because in one of your drivers it mentions VIA. VIA is a motherboard manufacturer. Therefore, for new drivers, check their website, www.via.com.tw.

However, if I were you, I would invest in a new sound card. If you are serious about music, get a professional one. If not, though, I would get a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live!. They will always support MIDI and will have easy-to-get drivers. They are also good for gaming and other such things you might do with your computer.

Good luck!

Jake

Archived