Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweill SP series

DaveHighaol.com

Has anyone had success with the Kurzweill SP88x? I'm seriously considering it. I want a good hammer action keyboard (with some internal sounds) that I can take out to gigs, and still be able to control my Korg X3 while in the studio. The price is around $1000, but if there is a better choice for what I want (even for a little more), I'd consider it.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently got an sp76 - mainly because it's so light & portable. I also use it to control a Voce V5. Frankly, I have been surprised at how well it's worked out. I'm not using very much midi - that was the point, so I don't know whether it's a good choice for a studio. I like the piano sounds - with the reverb off they cut through pretty well, and I like the keyboard feel - I'm not a purist - but it also has a good organ feel to it.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Dave,

I must say that I was disappointed by the SP88X. I did have high expectations for it, but the main problem is that all the programs come in a major wash of reverb. Also, the user interface isn't that easy to get around. I think that the Kurzweil piano sound is also beginning to get to me, as I can really recognize that it's a synth sound instead of it having the fullness and placement of a Roland sound.

The Kurzweil has a new competitor on the market, the Roland RD-150 which is an updated version of the RD100. I like the RD100 a lot, it has a nice action and a good strong sound. But if you've got a couple extra hundred bucks, I would spring for the Kawai MP9000, which is sold at $1500 all over but you could probably negotiate a better deal. I think this board is possibly the best digital piano on the market, with an excellent action and a really strong and powerful sound. The Roland RD600 is also in this price range, so you may want to try that too. Both of these are much higher end digital pianos than either the RD100 or the SP88x, offering much better effects processing, superb actions, and realtime controls. They also have pretty decent master controller functions. I hope you get a chance to check them out.

Feel free to email me if you have other questions.

-Steve

Archived