Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cant get my MIDI to Mac connection to work...at all!

Help!

I have a Yamaha PSR-280 keyboard which I have connected to my Mac Performa 6400/200 via a MidiMan MiniMac 1x1 interface. The interface is connected to the Mac via a serial cable to the printer port. The interface came without a driver, so I downloaded OMS for that purpose. I want to use Cubase VST (demo). I ultimately want to play the keyboard thru Cubase to use the effects and to record. The problem? The keyboard wont play thru the Mac. The interface shows no MIDI activity at all, only the Power Light shines. Is my Mac too out of date? Is the interface setup wrong? Is the PSR-280 incompatible for what I want to do? At this point I can no longer see the forest because of the trees and am completely baffled. I have contacted Yamaha tech support, but they are taking their time responding.

If anyone has any idea what I'm babbling about and can help me get this thing up and running I will be grateful.

Thanks Yo!

Don

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to contact Midiman about this, not Yamaha. It's clearly not a Yamaha problem. Or simply go to Midiman's website. In all likelihood (I haven't checked) there's a driver there that you can download and install.

--Jim Aikin

My guess is that you've got appletalk turned on. Go to the chooser, turn it off, and restart.

Or, you could use the modem port instead, but then you'll have to specify in OMS that the interface is on the modem port instead of the printer port.

If that doesn't work, do what Jim said -- contact midiman.

Jonathan

Don, first of all, don't despair. You'll get this resolved, and it will work great. Eventually. Have you ever used that printer port, i.e. with a printer? On a computer that old, the port might not be working. Also, it appears that Cubase does not see the incoming notes, but you might try to SEND notes to the kayboard to see if it receives them. Use a sequence that you already have, or create one in step recording mode.

Also, verify that (a) OMS is installed correctly, and (b) that Cubase is set up to use OMS. Cubase can run without OMS, too. Mess with those Cubase and OMS settings, or try it without OMS altogether - move it out of the extensions folder. If you exhaust all of these possibilities, try another MIDI interface. Maybe a friend can lend you one.

Oh, and this may seem obvious, but double check your MIDI cables to make sure that In goes to Out and vice versa.

Good luck!!

Archived